Home Broadband Advice [nerds only, extremely dull thread alert]

Perfect, thanks!

Just home and still the same problems. Back on with Sky support now! Will get there in the end. Thanks!

1 Like

Try powerline ethernet adaptors, theyre inexpensive and easy to set up, you can use these to plug in wi fi extenders or direly plug ethernet cables into your devices.

I have amazing results but its very much down to how good your houses wiring is

If you game a lot this is the best way to extend your internet range

2 Likes

Don’t game at all but my big problem is the fact we have a lot of Sonos stuff

That completely fucks most residential wireless tbh

Maybe get a starter kit with 2 adaptors for like 20 quid and see how reliable the connection is and go from there?

I believe you can even get ones with built in wi fi so they act as lil routers w ethernet ports bjt are less likely to be hit by random interferance you get fron daisy chaining wi fi hot spots

If you can hardwire one of them, they create their own mesh network which works pretty well but unfortunately the Ethernet sockets are nowhere near where I want the speakers. Some good solutions on here though!

Here’s one for you.

My TalkTalk broadband works even when i disconnect their router and use our old BT router instead.

I told TalkTalk about this in passing when i was having some other issues and they said it was technically impossible (on a chat applet which was connected to their internet via the BT router).

1 Like

Nah you’ve got VDSL.

Which means that should be feasible

As you say depends on wiring as I have powerline adaptors but the connection drops randomly all the time - mesh wifi much more consistent and the same speed

1 Like

Think i’ve got a cream for that in the bathroom.

(Can you explain in laymans terms, mate?)

1 Like

Ok so I don’t work with residential stuff much but I’m pretty sure that a VDSL connection (which is what bt usually issue) verifies itself by actually being your connection meaning you don’t have to ‘log in’ to your account to connect to the sphyncternet. So you just plug in a VDSL router and it works - in this instance the two routers are VDSL presumably. ADSL requires a username and password to log in to the web at your isp (which sky won’t give you and their connections are ADSL.)

I think.

1 Like

Randomly dropping connections could be down to using overlapping channels. How many adapters do you have and what is the model number?

Only 2, its an oldish tp link with the power socket, dunno which model

This is an ethernet connection though does it even use channels??

I have no idea how powerline works tbf it is pretty magic even if it annoys me

Ah sorry I thought it was a wireless link randomly dropping. If it’s the Ethernet port doing it the honestly I don’t know.