Homebakers of DiS!

are there any?

I was given some sourdough starter the other week so have accidentally got into sourdough baking. Done a typical couple of loaves (James Beard’s recipe) and a sourdough rye using Beard’s ingredients but a different recipe (I don’t think he gets sourdough, tbh). Results were OK. Unsure how much further to take it.

Got some brownies in the oven rn too

:bread:

Congratulations!!!

Went through a bit of a spell where I was knocking up a loaf here and there about 18 months ago but haven’t baked anything for ages.

Will make a cake for my gf’s birthday this year after she moaned about me not having done so before during yesterday’s Masterchef USA dreaded pressure test (which was making birthday cakes for Masterchef USA’s 100th birthday)

ah, the dreaded guiltcake

KNOCK IT OUT THE PARK ANT

thanks hun

Thanks, friend!

It’ll probably end up being in the shape of a Utd shirt with her name and age on the back if my previous birthday cake baking is anything to go by (attempts to get my little bro into football back in the day were all-encompassing but ultimately unsuccessful)

Nice!

We made some cupcakes for my step-mum’s birthday the other day. Gin and Tonic ones. With little umbrellas in. I think she liked 'em.

What’s your mix, mate? You a classic 4,4,4,2 kind of guy?

As a cake glutton that refused to give up despite being a vegan ive learned loads of good recipes, my favourite at the moment (not a recipe tbh but it gets you cake in 20 minutes) is: any old sponge mix with oil and almond milk, with icing made from sunflower butter, hazelnut spread, icing sugar and cacao powder. It tastes like frerro rocher (no idea how to spell that) because of the hazelnut butter, the kind I use is crunchy and this is honestly so delicious. Also chocolate chip banana bread is good, as well as ginger cake made with molasses and cupcakes filled with passionfruit with coconut milk buttercream :heart_eyes:

Aye, I’d guess so. Was amazed to learn how little flour is necessary to put into brownies just recently.

Bold flavours! Yeah, I’m a fan of ginger cake. I like that it tastes better after its rested for 24 hours or so - it ages nicely :slight_smile:

Next day cake is always good! Ginger and lemon are my favourite things, in hot or cold drinks, in sweet or savoury food, in everything basicslly

Yeah my brownies are probably less than 5% flour.

LOVE to bake but have stopped a bit recently because I couldn’t be arsed I clear up the mess and I was just eating it all.

Same, but I now pay my younger brother in cake to clear up after me (also helps with the not eating it all problem)

:+1::+1::+1:

150g flour
25g cocoa
175g sugar
175g butter/marge
3 eggs

bake until tasty and ice with buttercream and/or fondant.

Thread for showing off

They are brilliant!

Why are you congratulating the guy? We all shit.

I was just pretending that he was pregnant… standard DiS joke

Making a birthday cake for my mum this evening as her present hasn’t arrived in time and I can then at least turn up with something.

Tried to make a Lemon tart the other week. Put the tart case back in the over for 5 more mins and then got distracted. Was completely black when I got it out 2 hours later. Lets hope it goes better than that