Hope Of the States, etc

Great, something to listen to on the way home today

3 Likes

Having now listened to the podcast and started the album, Iā€™m even more delighted with this post - thanks so much for doing it.

The interview was so enjoyable; so interesting, illuminating and - yes - sad. Particularly hearing about how they started out and how it all fell apart. That he was literally building towards The Lost Riots from 14 years old was something Iā€™d never heard before. Sounds like a really nice, well-intentioned guy who found himself at the centre of a storm. Glad he seems to have found some sanity and success in the end.

I know itā€™s an awful thing to think - but I canā€™t help but wonder what would have become of them if theyā€™d been a more stable unit. Would the 2nd album have been different with Jimmi? Would there have been a 3rd (as apparently the label wanted)? When they were good, they caught something special.

Anyway, it made me very nostalgic for the days when I had a terrific mullet and Enemies/Friends was my untouchable favourite song ever.

Itā€™s a shame that Sam appears to have given up on music. Heā€™s definitely a very talented songwriter and I would have thought the ease of getting music out into the world now would have been perfectly suited to just him and a guitar / piano. Itā€™s a bit gutting to hear at the end of the podcast that he really just canā€™t be bothered with it any more.

On a slightly separate note, I remember seeing The Northwestern at The Roundhouse in Manchester and they played a catch song but the only words I can remember are ā€œFucked upā€ from the chorus. Any ideas what it is?

Listened to it and liked it
Can tell itā€™s not finished and the vocals are a bit quiet

Jimmi*

I just listened to a few tracks from Dark Houses and canā€™t believe this just sat on a hard drive and itā€™s the first weā€™re hearing about it. Why wouldnā€™t he try and release it at the time? Doesnā€™t it cost money to make an album like this, how do you spend a chunk of money recording then just toss it away like nothing happened. Really surprised this wasnā€™t some lost album that built in mystique or something. Itā€™s really good.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing this is the song you remember:

1 Like

Yeah! Thatā€™s it! Itā€™s been a partially faded earworm for ages! Thanks!

Thatā€™s ace!

Thanks for this. I loved HOTS - remember seeing them at Whelanā€™s in Dublin around the time of Lost Riots and they were great.

Hope of The States were one of my favourite bands back in the day. Got warm memories of that legendary messageboard and meeting some of the people on there at various gigs. Most of the music I now listen to was discovered through their recommendations, so Iā€™m very grateful to the members on there that opened my eyes up to a world of music I didnā€™t know existed before.

Recently came across the thread on here about the Racetrack Gospel album, so have been listening to all the Hope of The States stuff again. Havenā€™t got round to the Dark Houses/Northwestern/Racetrack Gospel stuff yet. For a band that was only around for a few years, they recorded a hell of a lot of material with all the Dust Rackets albums and b-sides/demos.

Does anyone by any chance have a copy of the first Troubles album? Iā€™ve got Senā€™taur, but canā€™t find the first one anywhere. Sadly I missed the boat on that one when it came out.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the first album. Happy to send via Dropbox. I never got Senā€™taur as it never arrived despite ordering it twice. Would you be able to send it to me in exchange please? Also, do you have the last album, ā€˜Wolfā€™?

That would be awesome, cheers! I can send you Sentaur in exchange. Unfortunately I donā€™t have Wolf either.

My email address is igot2@hotmail.co.uk. Whatā€™s yours?

ā€˜Bonfiresā€™ is such a banger. Love it.

Got my copy of Dark Houses just before Christmas and have been listening to it non-stop since then. Such a great album to be languishing away on a hard drive for so long!

2 Likes

Jimusd@hotmail.com

Iā€™ve got Wolf. Iā€™ll send it as well. Might be a few days

Awesome!

Just invited you to share a folder with the Senā€™taur tracks in.

wow thanks. i was kind of into them back in 2008, unfortunately after they broke up. But I have no idea there was another record that surfaced.

cheers mate, have sent the others over your way. feel free to share with anyone else. They deserve a listen

Thanksā€¦ Only got a couple of tracks showing at the moment, but Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s cause they havenā€™t all synced yet.

A Hope of The States Fans Facebook group was setup recently. A lot of the old message board folks are on it and some of the band members - Redirecting...