Hot Chip

I’d go so far as to say ‘excellent’. That’s why the new cover is such a shocker.

In Our Heads and The Warning are good, the rest are bad.

Hang on. Forget the artwork and music. The LP is called ‘A Bath Full of Ecstasy’.

I feel like this is what we should be focusing on here.

3 Likes

Quite a short set in Brighton last night, only coming into 12 songs and just over an hour and 15 minutes. I can see why given they’re doing small venues in anticipation of the new album.

They should be headlining festivals by now, they have enough hits in the bank to do so. They didn’t even play Hold On, Need You Now or One Pure Thought last night but it was still a great set.

Second time I’ve seen them and I’m always blown away by the pinpoint precision of their musicianship. Things like slowing down Boy From School and then bringing it back up and make it sound so effortlessly seamless.

Hungry Child slaps, the other two new songs were quite 80s to my ears? Melody of Love sounds like a grower with this building four to the floor drum beat. Spell I don’t know how to describe but it sounds like there’s some brass in there which angled in at times akin to something from Bruce Springsteen or Huey Lewis?

Two new members I hadn’t seen before, I was a bit gutted the drummer from NZCA Lines wasn’t playing with them (Sarah Jones?) as she’s brilliant.

TL;DR They were ace as per usual

7 Likes

Oh and two other things

1. The crowd were fully expectant of the Sabotage cover but it was still weirdly brilliant
  2. Alexis has dyed his hair multicoloured in keeping with some of the band’s outfits and the new album cover but he looked a lot like a short Sean Pegg from Hot Fuzz wearing glasses for some reason
1 Like

yeh agree with all of the above, was right good.

If you go on their website it plays about 5 seconds of music. It sounds really good!

Saw them in Bristol tonight. Chuffing marvellous.

Funnily enough I didn’t notice that it was only 12 songs until you pointed it out! An hour and twenty mins (as it was tonight) is a decent length for a gig so it hadn’t occurred. Pete Fowler on DJ duties was great too.

I’ve always quite liked Hot Chip but their set last weekend was extraordinary. They did two new songs and it’s all on iPlayer for a few weeks here:

5 Likes

The version of Huarache Lights they’re opening with is amazing, I love the way it builds to that wall of sound at the end.

2 Likes

Hungry Child bangs, doesn’t it?

5 Likes

It really does. No vinyl release which really pisses me off though.

Another new single, Ally Pally show announced

It’s very good

New Hot Chip and Metronomy singles out on the same day, a gift from the gods.

3 Likes

Following on from their set at All Points East.

1 Like

Fyi this is the first track on the album, they are so so good at album openers.

3 Likes

FUCK ME THE MUSIC OF HOT CHIP IS DREADFUL. IT’S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WHITE POSH CUNTS LISTEN TO A COUPLE OF HOURS OF DANCE MUSIC BUT STILL REMEMBER THEIR MUMS PLAYING BRAHMS AS THEY LEFT FOR BOARDING SCHOOL.

— O (@WANDAGROUP) May 25, 2019

IF YOU SAW HOT CHIP PLAYING IN A LITTLE PUB YOU WOULD STILL GO ‘WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE CUNTS ?’ BUT SOMEHOW 50 RECORDS IN, JOURNALISTS ARE GOING ‘MY GOD THIS IS FUNKY YET STILL ACHES MY HEART’

— O (@WANDAGROUP) May 25, 2019
1 Like

some superb hot takes there. They should sign up for a DiS account !

2 Likes

Ally Pally on 26th October presale went up this morning.

Happy to share the link with anyone that wants.

Would love the link!

1 Like