household appliances you leave on overnight

are washing machines not notorious for going on fire? also i bet yr neighbours love you putting it on in the middle of the night…

no washing machines fill with water. the opposite of going on fire.

16 Likes

It hasn’t caught fire
They’re all asleep

Yeah, I have a friend who is paranoid about switching stuff off at night because growing up she had a family friend who was a firefighter, and he said washing machines were one of the main culprits for housefires.

According to Which magazine Hotpoint are the worst for it. (I am sorry for slandering Whirlpool pre-edit). EDIT AGAIN: Apparently Whirlpool owns Hotpoint so I was right.

1 Like

I thought that was tumble dryers

1 Like

acceptable time for using a washing machine:

• 9am-9pm
  • 8am-10pm
  • 7am-11pm
  • whenever i want DEAL WITH IT

0 voters

Washing machines are number one:

10am to (finish at) 9pm

(although we put ours on a timer to come on at 5.30 now because the washing machine is on the back wall of a room that isn’t even connected to next door, but still)

got sent on some terrible fire safety course when i started my current job (i am not a fire fighter), and the guy who ran the course spent most of it basically implying you should never switch on any appliance ever as they all go on fire at some point

Instead of using a dangerous appliance like a washing machine, why not tear up old magazines into kindling, start a small fire in the sink, and use this to warm a bowl of water with which you can clean your clothes.

2 Likes

depends on if you have adjoining ceiling/walls to your neighbours, if you do, and it’s likely they can hear it, putting it on overnight or really early in the morning is a dick move

1 Like

Came here to complain about my wife’s appliance paranoia (it’s like going on holiday whenever we leave the house).- turns out I’m just a reckless idiot

aye it was ray mears who ran the course

1 Like

I recently looked into the power consumption of the things I leave on around the house because I’m a massive nerd.

This is my typical consumption

Leave on
Clock radio (1 - 2W)
Fridge freezer (50 - 200W)
Wifi hub (5W)
Oven clock (1W)
Smoke alarm (0.4W)
CO alarm (0.3W)

Standby
YouView box (1W in low eco mode or around 15W in high eco mode)
Telly (< 1W)
Sonos speakers (about 2W each)
Apple TV (1.5W)
Phone chargers plugged in (charging 2-6W, not charging 0.1 - 0.5W)

So the fridge-freezer is by far the biggest consumer of power at 50-200W (depending on model). Everything else in the house put together is less than 20W.

6 Likes

pretty much all of them, but my flatmate doesn’t agree

It depends what your neighbour situation is - our washing machine is pretty quiet and on an outside wall so unlikely to bother anyone. It’s a judgement call, surely.

1 Like

On

• Cooker and oven (this needs the power to keep the clock in time, and you can’t use the oven or cooker without the time being set, seriously)
  • fridge and freezer
  • WiFi router
  • smoke alarms (wired to mains)

standby

• telly and fire tv stick
  • Nintendo switch

Enjoyed this.

2 Likes

my fridge freezer is really old. if i buy a new one that is more economical it will basically pay for itself, right? so it’s sort of free.