How are you going to keep fit during lockdown?

Walk round the dock in the morning before work, walk round to Greggs at 11am, walk to Princes Park after work at 4pm IF the weather’s nice and IF I can be arsed.

I’m gonna be good I hope, as i Spent around 650£ quid on 300kg weights/ power rack setup/platform start of last lockdown. 2.5yrs worth of monthly gym membership would have me break even, but I think it’s been worth it. Might buy a bench to do some benching :s

Just bought a 16kg kettle bell and two 10 kg dumbbells. My gym will be going back to doing live zoom classes so that good.

Hope you’re never planning on moving house

Never done streak running before because of other sports. Now they’re cancelled I think I’m going to try to run at least 2 miles every day to christmas

Feel sorry for the neighbours

3 Likes

Its all in the basement/ cellar as well :grimacing:

1 Like

Gonna buy a pull-up bar. Anyone got any tips? I’m fairly weak.

Running + Ring Fit Adventure + weights / push ups

On what bar to get or how to do it?

I have one that hangs from a door frame - although because all my door frames are crammed up against other things it only actually fits on one door in my flat. Feels safer than the other kinds though

Tips - just keep doing them. Focus on doing them well and slowly over trying to get big numbers. Pull ups are hard :grinning:

Would absolutely recommend taking up running.

During Lockdown I I started some light running and last month a managed my first half marathon, signed up for a full one, and fell in love with it. As I live alone and have little social interaction it has kept me mentally stable and helped me become more focused on non-running activities.

My absolute recommendations would be;

• Start slowly. However slow you’re thinking, think slower, you should be able to hold a conversation mostly. I didn’t do it but I hear C25K is good.
  • Build up distance slowly too, 10% more each week is a good guide. Also listen to your body with regards injuries, if something hurts look at fixing it
  • There is a running thread somewhere on here and the people are really nice
  • If you start to get into it, a good pair of trainers will go far
2 Likes

This. I read that it’s better to be quick to pull up and then slow to lower yourself back down.

Avoid ‘kipping’ pull-ups like this, I’m told they’re really bad for you and won’t do much to build any strength (also you look a bit of a twat).

If you’re struggling, you can wrap an exercise band over the bar and put your foot on that to help.

1 Like

Save it for Thursday

2 Likes

Off topic but we should all be angry that 50% of the population has to think like this

8 Likes

Running ~10k a day every week day split across a couple of runs. Occasional one at the weekend. Haven’t been so fit in nearly 20 years. Still pretty fat though!

I know, it’s mad. Men don’t really get it that much either. Unless you’re walking down the street in the dark as a woman with that has had it ingrained into you from a young age, you can’t really fully grasp it.
As long as I can remember my parents told me to put my keys in between my fingers even just walking to or from the car at night. I was told to always check inside my car before getting in it! So I’m bound to be on edge when one of my senses are taken away at night (headphones).

Also “night” is now like 5pm!!!

6 Likes

More like any specific programmes to follow? I did one for push-ups that was great.

Yeah I do those push up programmes

I’m sure there are pull up equivalents

Generally I just do multiple sets to failure, with a minute or so in between each set, and stop when I can’t do 2 in a row anymore. Doesn’t take that long :grinning:
The amount I can do drops rapidly if I forget to do them regularly

1 Like

i wanna find an online yoga / pilates course that happens at a fixed time every day / week
are there any of these?
can’t be doing with the youtube ones cos i just keep delaying it and end up stopping altogether

1 Like

Running 3 times a week, doing about 10K in total. I was doing C25K, but had to take 2 weeks off due to an infection, so I’m trying to get back to where I was, but it’s been difficult. Lost around a stone since starting in August.

2 Likes