How are you navigating these days?

Somehow managed to drive from the south coast to a Birmingham suburb using a crib sheet of directions in shorthand without getting lost.

7 Likes

just google maps on my phone

though last year I did drive from Ardrossan to Mousehole in Cornwall purely using road signs for navigation. Quite proud of that one

2 Likes

Mine is built into the car (ICES)

I drove from Cardiff to Portsmouth on A roads in the same fashion. Quite the adventure!

1 Like

Remember printing off directions from the AA website if I was driving somewhere for a gig

7 Likes

remember when we used to drive through france to spain and having to stop at loads of petrol stations to consult this huge map.

what fucking idiots we used to be huh

7 Likes

Can’t remember the last time I went somewhere where I didn’t know where it was tbh.

1 Like

we used to sometimes go in a convoy with other spanish people which made the whole thing more terrible.

1 Like

To be honest a lot of the time I sort of figure out which compass direction I’m supposed to be going in and go with that. Generally works out well.

i remember once i got a last minute ticket for one of the winter ATPs down in minehead due to a massive ormsby blag, had to wait until i finished work and it was a good 4-5 hour drive there. Just as I came off the motorway, the shitty old tom tom decided it couldn’t be arsed anymore so i had a further hour or so of basically guessing where i was going until i finally fucking arrived

COOL
STORY
BRO

i’ve got a habit of driving using the gps more than the road. nearly drove into a concrete bollard that shouldn’t have been there last year.

1 Like

Thought this was a philosophical question

1 Like

Nah ‘waze’ as in ‘rhymes with jay-z’

1 Like

The hire car I’m driving tomorrow has a built in sat nav :nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: so that

you can answer as if it is, if you’d like

oh this looks great!

1 Like

I sometimes attach my phone to my bicycle handle bars and use that to navigate, I use Google maps but it’s a bit piss and enjoys throwing you down a gravel path which isn’t ideal on a road bike.

Does anyone have a better recommendation for a bicycle navigation app?

1 Like

I listened to a thing on the radio about navigation and there being two different ways the brain does it (basically roughly, directions like a sat nav or location like a map, I’m simplifying) but it freakedme out that I might be losing my location skills, particularly as one effect of using the direction method is that it atrophies the other part. I might have dreamt all this, anyhoo I try not to use a direction sat nav as much anymore

I read something similar, you can navigate by familiar landmarks or by mentally mapping where you’ve been/are going. I wouldn’t worry though, if you’re not using one of those skills it’s probably because you don’t need it.

1 Like

Are there apps around where you can point at something in the distance with the camera and it tells you how to get there?