How are you navigating these days?

Waze. Not that I’ve been anywhere I couldn’t find on my own for the last few months

waze and meanz: @rich-t is the mean(z) one

Never heard of waze.

I just use gmaps to navigate.

Or our cheap Tom-Tom thing in the car because I’m not allowed to use my phone for any reason at all under Victorian P-Plate rules if I’m driving.

Anything you like! They can’t hear y- oh sorry Siri, I was just making a joke

1 Like

Big fan of komoot for planning cycle routes. If you tell it you’re road biking it will draw you a different route to if you’re gravel biking or mountain biking. Has loads of paths and things that Google maps doesn’t have too. Plus you can sync it to your wahoo or whatever if you ever get fed up of having your phone on your handlebars (I did cos it ate the battery)

1 Like

Does it get updates or is it slowly becoming less and less accurate?

CityMapper

I had a Renault Clio that had a built in sat nav. I bought the car second hand so as well as the maps being obsolete by the time I got it, it also had someone else’s home address saved in it. Apparently there was a way of updating the maps, by taking a SD card out from somewhere but I never got it to work, and even if I had the display would have still looked really dated.

So anyway, I’ve got a Tomtom which is great, and I trust a lot more than google maps on my phone (which couldn’t even navigate properly to my house due to the weird quirks of different sides of the road having different street names)

1 Like

Yeah I guess you must always be able to do it manually but who has time or energy for that?

My phone links up to my car so it shows Google maps on the car console screen thing. It’s VERY snazzy imo

I think you can get updates but I don’t bother. So new roads don’t show up which can be quite funny.

1 Like

Ha. In Aus (particularly in the city) they keep revising speed limits but their signage can be a bit vague so it’s actually quite nervewracking for me as P-plater trying to never go above if I am using our little device. All the normal drivers speed a bit anyway so I can’t tell if I’m pissing them off by being a bit too slow or not!

Built-in Sat Nav (which has Google maps, with all the live traffic and that). If I’m driving to/from work and it’s busy, I have Waze running in Android Auto too for a second opinion.

Sometimes, if I’m feeling ballsy, I’ll look up a driving route on Google maps in advance and then just remember it and not use the car satnav like a fucking boss.

1 Like

Google Maps - Journey time 2 hours 33 minutes

Me

EDIT think this needs some more work

1 Like

This is how I always got by until about 9 months ago, when I got a car with a built in Sat Nav.

Have a look on street view at any difficult junctions so you know which lane you need to be in, maybe scribble a few notes down. Sorted.

Used to get everywhere like this. Simpler times before Smartphones!

1 Like

Directions seem completely lost on the under-30s who’d rather argue with a satnav.

“How do I get to Thekla for a gig?”

Easy… A34 to the M4, go to Bristol, follow signs for Temple Meads, aim for Queen Square CP and walk round the corner.

That is an example of some directions yeah

1 Like

Directions: google maps
Online reference: Openstreetmap - has so much more detail, especially bike paths, footpaths etc.
Also: Bing for Ordnance Survey maps. I have never tried printing it, I quite like buying a paper copy if I am going walking around a new area.