How bothered are you about supporting your friend's musical endeavours?

All my friends are immensely talented and so I enjoy going to see all their bands and plays and exhibitions.

If I’ve been to one of your gigs, it’s because I like your music, and I like you.

Can’t tell if you’re being genuine or savaging anyone who’s ever jagged on here

depends.

I’m not going every week. couple of times a year, fine.

assuming they’re shite and i’m just going to be nice. if i really like them i’d go often anyways innit

She’s living in New York.

This is a really creepy post

10 Likes

Ah, shame

Most of my music doing friends are managing quite well without my support - much better than I am so I’m the needy one

so actually my ‘support’ tends to be in the form of my name on their guestlist and free beer tokens for me

I’m a terrible person

1 Like

Oh I’m the same, depending on the kind of gig. If it’s self-promoted or charity or whatever of course not but if a mate asks I’m usually too poor to refuse :frowning: Will usually make it up to them with drinks though

in general I’m bad about it even if it’s something I like. I mostly just end up being flaky and then feeling guilty

I am fastidious about it. A bit broke these days so I can only afford to go to gigs but I think I own almost every record my friends have put out over the years. They’ve also made some of my favourite music ever so why wouldn’t I support them? This 10" single is one of my treasured possessions for example.

1 Like

:peanuts: :books: with :notes:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s weird (but heartening) how intensely proud I am of some of my friend’s music over the years.

yeah, my m23s tend to be on the club scene rather than the gig scene - or well up the gig ladder - so they deffo don’t need me there to make up the numbers and half of them don’t drink anyway so it’s no biggy (they say)

in fact one of them recently said to me “What’s the point of even doing this DJ lark if I can’t get all my mates on the list with a bunch of free drinks on top”

I admire that level of righteousness

1 Like

I used to be amazed that they were even friends with me, or that I was able to play with them at all. I’m a bit more comfortable and confident in myself now but there are still times where I go “Amazing, I’m playing with four members of the Altered Hours, this is the best gig of my life!” They’re that brilliant and important to me.

1 Like

mate

Yeah one particular mate’s always followed this vibe. Except for the last time his new band were in town because there were loads of industry people there to watch them. Me and my mates started drinking at midday before rocking up. It didn’t end especially well.

Well it did because they got signed (!!) but he wasn’t happy at the time.

Oh and I never take guest list myself. Always, always pay.

Haven’t you heard? She’s sitting by the phone waiting for some sleazy dude off the internet to call her

5 Likes

“Well we loved your band but your friends started drinking quite early, so…”

We get a lot of the same faces at our shows and I always feel guilty that they spend so much on us. That’s weird isn’t it?