How cynical are you?

How cynical are you in everyday life?
It’s just protective, disappointed idealism isn’t it?
I require a arbitrarily assigned numerical value out of ten concerning this, thank you.

this is essentially a “how traumatised are you by your life” thread, enjoy everyone

Very cynical. Probably in and around the 8 region I’d have thought.

I’ll believe anything, me.

I used to be professional but then my heart wasn’t in it.

I think I’m about a 3/10 when it comes to cynicism. I abhor cynicism in a lot of cases.

Others seem to think I’m very cynical, like 7/10. Not sure why. Think they’re getting it mixed up with dryness tbh. Let’s net it out to 5/10 shall we.

I also don’t like the use of the phrase “cynical challenge” when it comes to football. Annoys me a lot.

Very. To the point where I’m self-sabotaging my enjoyment of something. It’s not great.

Try not to be too cycnical

I don’t really enjoy cynicism as a pose/ position

Gonna say a 4

I’m very cynical. Get told off for it loads at work. :frowning:

Getting annoyed by it’s probably a reflex reaction but I don’t think cynicism is a choice really, or at least, it’s one that needs real work and maybe even some perspective changing events before it improves.

Used to be very cynical. Have worked on it hard and am now annoyingly positive.

not really, 2 probably. think really well of other people and terribly of myself.

A strong 9.

Maybe 9.5.

Sure - propensity to be cynical is influenced by events, of course. And in a lot of cases it will be justified.

More than is healthy, I imagine.

Very cynical, and critical. I’m essentially an auditor so I’m mentally wired to see where things are going to go wrong ahead of time and I can often see through bullshit when others can’t. Means people think I’m quite negative which I guess I am. My nickname at another job was ‘the doom fairy’ as I’d often predict exactly how a project or initiative was going to fail as it was announced.

Used to be very cynical but over time realised it was numbing me from experiencing the beauty in life and in people. Now I’ve sort of reached a state where I still expect the worst but can just about hope for the best as well. If that makes sense.

The doom fairy sounds like something I strive to be tbftbh

Ever so cynical. Definitely 8.5 / 9.

Do my level best to keep a lid on it around others, though. I know how much it pisses other people off.

I think that there are two types of cynicism: one borne of ignorance (eg “all politicians are the same!”) and one borne of insight.

I can’t stand the former, but the latter is often justifiable.