How did your parents meet?

It’s interesting to know how previous generations stories differ to the ones now, my parents met at a mutual friends’ wedding, started to get to know each other, were married the next year and had me the year after that

3 Likes

My mum was the receptionist at the office where my dad had just arrived as a new recruit, with burn marks on his flares from his shitty moped. On his first day he came back from his lunch break and left a Twix (possibly a Kit-Kat) on her desk because he fancied he.

Issue was, she was already engaged!

Somehow hell this didn’t dissuade him and she ended up ditching the guy and getting with my dad instead.

The weird twist is that the last time she saw the other guy was as she was driving to the church to get married to my dad.

5 Likes

No idea! Feels weird to ask.

2 Likes

I think through work. My dad asked my mum out on a date and they went to a pub halfway between their houses and at the end of the night my dad said he’d better go as he had plans the next day, those plans were he was getting married

Not really sure how it panned out from there. He was marrying a woman (with the same name as my mum) more down to expectations of the time. I think he’d been living with her and her family as he hated his own home and i guess she was his escape. Years must have passed before he finally got with my mum but I’m not so sure if they stayed in touch or he got back in touch.

Initially used to think the latter but having seen him in infidelity mode as a teenager I’m not so rose tinted about it now.

4 Likes

Met working in a hospital kitchen afaik

1 Like

They went to a Slade concert together in the local leisure centre.

10 Likes

They were in the same group of friends at school. Apparently everyone else in the group partnered up, and in my mam’s words they thought they might as well too, just because they were the only single ones left.

At 19 they got pregnant, and under pressure from my grandparents, got married.

They celebrated 40 years of happy marriage a few months before my dad passed away.

5 Likes

Hinge

11 Likes

On the bus on the way to a Man Utd game from Mansfield.

9 Likes

My dad and his brother met my mom and her sister at church.
They ended up having a double wedding.

6 Likes

Tesco.

Dad worked in the warehouse, mum was a cashier.

Mum was originally from Middlesbrough, left home at 17 to go hitchhiking around Europe with her then boyfriend. They finally split up, mum ended up in London, got a job, met my dad.

They’ve been together 45 years. Mum retired from Tesco last year.

4 Likes

My mum was performing at some opera thing. My dad was pushing the scenery/platform she was on (?). Not sure why he was there. Was at art college and I think he had designed it or something.

1 Like

At work. They had the whole screwball comedy dynamic of my dad being really arrogant at work and my mum thinking he was a proper dickhead. For some reason she was into that and stalked him on his lunch breaks. He realised that she was following him so one day after they got back from lunch he rang her at her desk and asked if she wanted to go out with him, she acted absolutely outraged but went along with it. Behind the work confidence he was a cripplingly anxious wreck and was so nervous at social events that he would have panic attacks or vomit in the toilets, but when he was out with my mum he instantly felt at ease and knew she was the one.

He thought she’d stood him up on their third date but it was actually just that the Great Storm of 87 disrupted her travel plans.

5 Likes

I wonder how many potential relationships never got off the ground because of misunderstandings that today, having a mobile phone would have prevented.

2 Likes

My mum was a pupil in my dad’s school, so they knew each other for a few years before she graduated. They got together immediately afterwards. She was going to go to uni but was pregnant with my sister not long after so they settled down and eventually had me. Not seen my dad in 20 years but last I heard he was working in a school in Bogota.

3 Likes

My Dad was the bassist in the band that my mum’s best friends boyfriend was the guitarist in. She went to watch them with her, and thought my dad was really arrogant and wasn’t interested.

She met him again some other time but initially didn’t recognise him as he’d cut all of his long black hair short cause he was starting a new job (this was in the late 60’s) and they really got on and started ‘courting’ (as my Mum describes it). They got married a year later, had my first sister in 1970, my second sister in 1973 and then me in 1986.

My Dad sadly passed away in 2010, but they’d celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary earlier that year which was lovely.

9 Likes

They met at a mutual friend’s house party when they were both working in Maidstone. My dad was 21 and my mum was 19. They got married two years later, which was 47 years ago.

Both of my parents had been engaged to other people while at school - apparently that was very common back then.

1 Like

My dad describes my mum as “the girl from the lab nextdoor” which is very funny

3 Likes

They met at a house party in Brighton. My mum had moved to the city for uni and my dad was a labourer. Their mutual friend Charlie, who hosted the party, knew my mum from church and my dad from the pubs. Sums them up really. Still together. Still very different people in many ways.

2 Likes

How did I put eggs as a tag :disguised_face:

3 Likes