How do you buy a laptop?

This isn’t really true at all. Each of those brands make a range of laptops, from budget to premium. Specific laptops should be recommended rather than brands.

2 Likes

Yer man daggers did say brands don’t really matter as well

yes, and at each tier, certain brands will outshine others

then I’ve contradicted myself! oh dear

1 Like

Don’t worry this is a safe space. There are no ultimate truths in this life x

3 Likes

I got a discount code for Hewlett Packard, so I browsed ones within my budget on their website

also, I don’t know if you know to avoid Chromebooks for what you need

Make sure it’s compatible with Windows 11. There are websites that tell you which ones are compatible and/or the specs you need to be able to upgrade when Windows 11 is released.

1 Like

also, it’s a good idea to decide on your screen size before you go any further, an extra inch or two can make a massive difference to portability

I also like to check techradar for such decisions

1 Like

One thing I don’t really understand is why my laptop runs worse than my PC despite having better specs

Smaller versions of all the parts, jammed into a small space with not great ventilation

4 Likes

IT’S AN ABSOL- sorry I say this too much

1 Like

same question but i want to pay in instalments. paypal won’t let me anymore cause i missed a payment for a book ONE TIME

Your opinion of that laptop could help guide this search. What is the brand and model of this laptop? What do you like or dislike about the laptop?

Yeah all the other upgrades they made and the huge battery/performance upgrade of the M1 chip (if you have that model), and they still have a 720p camera? Total fucks

1 Like

Read this like you were in the Fugees

3 Likes

I would happily have exactly the same laptop I like it a lot. It’s a dell, I looked it up and it was £1,200 or so I think. I’ll check the model number later

I actually asked them if they would sell it to me but they said no

1 Like

Happy laptop, Smee! :partying_face: :computer: :fireworks:

I’ve been thinking I need to buy a new one because I’m out of space. I have some external hard drives but that’s a pain in the ass. I bought my MacBook in 2013 when I briefly went freelance, and it’s been solid. Haven’t used it for actual work in quite some time, only when I’m looking for a new job and working on portfolio stuff. Right now I’m just tired of running out of space because I have too much music and too many pictures on it. I cleared out some music a while back, things I don’t feel I listen to anymore and if I ever wanted to I could stream or download again, but I really don’t like having to do that. Just need more space dammit. But is that worth spending 3k on a new Mac? Probably not.

I got my wife one of these recently and it’s great:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15/spd/inspiron-15-5515-laptop/cn51203sc?gbraid=0AAAAADANKJlBDMqy2Oo8mzp4KXFuYQgJW&cjevent=64a4bf6d17f011ec82cb01600a180511&dgc=CJ&publisherid=4653527&cjdata=MXxZfDB8WXww&gacd=9684977-24628710-5750457-280362152-136708306&dgc=af&VEN1=14311761-7947610-79708782&dclid=CLuw1trjhvMCFYOH1QodzVIHvQ&nclid=wf7YsImv1eZnZKGsEs64P-I9zig0rg2m7HAUhHNyMldgnqZZyPwx0ujDMfKOjmke

Nice big screen for your music and illustration and nice big hard drive too, great CPU, and Dell’s stuff is usually really solid. No Office but you’ll have to subscribe in any case and it’s only about a fiver a month.

great thanks.