How do you feel about people using the wrong names for a meal?

No because capers have no place in a spag bol.

Parmesan is a seasoning imo. It adds saltiness.

1 Like

And the sweet, sweet smell of vomit.

1 Like

Ragga Bol? Does that work, nope.

3 Likes

Or ‘bolognese’

It would be Spaghetti Al Ragu. That’s what pretty much everyone is making in this thread, and not well I might add.

2 Likes

Bolognese snobs are the worst of all the snobs.

3 Likes

Bang it in here chief:

So do capers

Feels proper brexit in here. ‘Fuck your signature dish Bologna, we Brits know better!’

It’s almost like cuisine isn’t set in stone and will evolve when moved from its place of origin.

fucking hell, have a word with yourself cultural appropriation apologist! jfc :smiley:

Also I’d argue that no - if a place name is in a dish, you make it according to their recipes, or with very little adjustments. or you just call it something else to acknowledge that it’s no longer that dish.

Don’t even know what you mean pal.

So many dishes are open to interpretation - I think if you’re making a places signature dish then it should be kept that way else called something else - I absolutely think that’s fair enough.

‘Here is this dish from xx place, except I’ve changed most of the ingredients, changed it’s texture, consistency, flavour and serve it completely differently.’

I think the big :smiley: after made it clear @elthamsmateowen was just having a light joke with me regarding the cultural appropriation thing?

1 Like

of course that was a joke referencing the Lena Dunham thing above.

Still think it’s totally reasonable to acknowledge what a dish is (and the fact that plenty of people from Bologna would be pretty offended at what passes for Bolognese here and elsewhere. Everyone’s getting defensive because they just settled in their ways of calling it something and don’t want to accept that they’re wrong.

1 Like

Glad to see the reason this thread is on #numbers is bolognese chat. It’s great of course. Have it about once a week.

4 Likes

I knew you were on my side anyway :wink:

1 Like

That’s why I spell it ‘bolognaise’ mate.

(@xylo likes comics so I’m sure he’ll appreciate a solid retcon like this.)

1 Like

Always been a (horrified) bystander before

2 Likes

It’s always the first thing I make when we return from holiday. It’s so homely!

1 Like

Saw thread title - came here to say bolognaise. When i make bolognaise it takes all day and is one of the nicest things on earth.

When you pour a tin of tomatoes or dolmio sauce over some mince and cook it for 15 minutes then this is NOT Bolognaise. I dont know what it is or what to call it but it bears no resemnblance whatsover to a Bolognaise sauce.

So yes I agree

1 Like

Wow I hadn’t noticed the 195 replies before i strolled in with this

8 Likes