how do you pronounce? (a polls and chat thread)

You can forward to 2:01 if you’re impatient. It’s worth watching the whole thing though.

3 Likes

So everyone is pronouncing Loch the same way the guy in the video at 2:01 says the gh part of Gogh?

How do I shape up?

https://voca.ro/16XppHsE495t

I knew the ‘van’ thing but didn’t know the correct ‘gogh’ pronunciation.

tbf, he does say that his name is a ‘medieval way of spelling his name’ so we might be forgiven for mispronouncing it.

Spot on!

1 Like

No

4 Likes

No because we don’t pronounce it right as aboynamedgoo has pointed out :smiley:

But if you say loch in the way Scottish people do then it’s like the way English people say Gogh, a sort of ‘ck’ softly at the back of the throat with a bit of a ‘huh’ at the end.

1 Like

I’d already had a conversation with a Dutch man a few years back about his football team being FC Gröningen, which you’d nod approvingly if you heard me say

1 Like

was he living in Germany :wink:

1 Like

oh fuck!

I put that umlaut in, then I was like ‘tf am I doing’

then I straight up forgot to delete it

1 Like

btw I know this is preseason, but ooooft

1 Like

Take it to literally any one of the threads in the Sports forum I have mercifully muted :smiley:

basketball isn’t a sport, it is merely part of the extended Space Jam canon

Never seen Space Jam and never want to.

Space Jam is bad, but I wanted to provide a sort-of funny reply that denied basketball was actually a sport, and it’s laaaate

Not here it isn’t! :smiley:

I am tired everywhere!

1 Like

I grew up on a street called “van Ruijsdaellaan”. That was always fun to hear other Brits pronounce. And my school was in Scheveningen - which was apparently a shibboleth during WW2, right?

1 Like

Astonished this thread has got this far without ‘Scone’.

• Skonn
  • Sk(own)

0 voters

1 Like

(Who on earth would rhyme scone with cow, though? :wink: )

1 Like