How do you pronounce 'chorizo'?

Good…

I know it’s Cho-reeth-oh but say Cho-ritz-o as I’m not a waitrose shopping middle-class twat.

NB. Quin-oh-ah and not Keen-wa or whatever it is (actually I never need to say quinoa anyway)

Depends where in Spain I am, Cho-ri-so in some parts, Cho-re-tho in the rest. However, in both cases I say it in my very most common southern English accent.

This might sound weird, but I feel like I’m speaking in an affected manner when I pronounce it “cho-ree-tho”. Illogical, as this is the correct pronunciation, right?

2 Likes

El Snag

1 Like

yeah but i doubt you’d say ‘barthelonaaa’ either

My Spanish godparents confirm this^

Unless I was singing the song from the 1992 Olympics

1 Like

Part of me dies when I hear someone doing a spanish accent talking about food
They don’t fucking sit around doing chinese impressions when they’re cooking that do they

7 Likes

Exactly, it just seems like a bit of an affectation.

a dutch friend once told me how to pronounce hoegaarden correctly. yeah, nah, not going to be doing that anytime soon.

[tʃoˈɾiθo] or [tʃoˈɾiso]

Just seeing if the new boards do IPA.

Awaiting my ‘Language Log’ badge.

1 Like

something’s gone wrong

1 Like

there’s a difference between attempting to pronounce something properly and putting on an accent, obviously. And yeah, it’s pretty hard to pronounce (for e.g.) Xiaolongbao without a bit of vocal affectation

No there isn’t
And no it isn’t

Sausage

3 Likes

so-sarj for me

1 Like

Chor-ee-so, because I speak South American Spanish (I’m half-foreign), and I think people immediately think I’m a twat when I don’t pronounce it with an “itz” because I’m really pale and don’t look half-foreign.

Same with going to tapas restaurants, do I just say “huevos rotos” like it’s pronounced in Spanish and risk looking like a pretentious wanker, or say “wayvoes roetoes”.

Might just stop going to tapas restaurants