8. Sonic & Knuckles (3.71)
  9. Sonic 3 (3.62)
  10. Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (3.17)
  11. Sonic Adventure (2.87)
  12. Sonic Adventure 2 (2.62)
  13. Sonic Generations (2.53)
  14. Sonic 4 (2.47)
  15. Sonic (2006) (1.67)

Lets do the mainline games 6 and beyond shall we?

Final Fantasy 6

0 voters

Final Fantasy 7

0 voters

Final Fantasy 8

0 voters

Final Fantasy 9

0 voters

Final Fantasy 10

0 voters

Final Fantasy X-2

0 voters

Final Fantasy 11

0 voters

Final Fantasy 12

0 voters

Final Fantasy 13

0 voters

Final Fantasy 14

0 voters

Final Fantasy 15

0 voters

I don’t think it is now but from the ages of 10 - 25 I considered FFVII to be the greatest game of all time. It certainly has more nostalgia and emotional connections to my past than any other piece of culture ever created.

Got it for Christmas in 97 aged 10, never been more excited or enthralled in my life. Played all of Midgar on Christmas Day, still remember the feel of the bumps on the plastic case and the smell of the discs, seemed like the greatest and most grown up adventure ever as a child.

That game taught me about environmental issues, not to trust authority, mental health, identity, probably was responsible for me taking an interest in music as it’s still the greatest soundtrack to anything ever.

So much charm and personality conveyed in those rudimentary chunky polygons too. Something to be said for that level of graphical abstraction actually making you invest more in characters and places than modern games do, so much about evoking and suggesting. Could never get that grand sense of a whole world spanning adventure from say an open world game. Red dead seems absolutely tiny in comparison, only breath of the wild comes close.

Actually changed my mind, it’s still the greatest game of all time.

24 Likes

7 > 12 > 9 > 6 > 10 > 8 > the rest

2 Likes

I mean that opening FF theme, conveys so much, used to just let that run for like 15 minutes when I was a kid, iconic beyond anything in mario or Zelda to me

Swap 12 and 6 and I would agree

2 Likes

Blitzball is pretty universally hated. Glad at least 1 person had fun with it.

4 Likes

8>>>10>>>>>>>>10-2

Leaving Midgar and going to the world map was unbelievable as a child, thought I’d played through basically the whole game and it was just this tiny part!

Hard to explain that to younger people I guess and again can’t get this from open world games where the scale and scope of the world is so clearly stated from the start.

That music too <3

FFVII is basically the only thing I will fanboy about

4 Likes

Tell you what though, hell of a run Square were on in the 90s:
Final fantasy 4,5,6,7,8,9 all good to legendary.
Chrono trigger
Mario rpg
Secret of mana
Secret of evermore
Xenogears

2 Likes

Vagrant Story!

2000 though

1 Like

Probably second only to Nintendo for greatest 90s games

If you count the Enix game too now that it’s Square Enix they might pip them. Certainly for jrpg fans.

1 Like

You get dragon quests, terranigma etc in the 90s

2 Likes

Also their cover art for FF in its heyday was the classiest of all time.

3 Likes

Really liked simplicity of IX logo after viii

1 Like

IX was such a gem, such great characters and so beautifully rendered with charm and personality Through their animations sounds and skills in battle. Melodies of life is such a great theme too.

7 Likes

Replayed it recently on switch for first time in about 18 years. Great stuff, better than I remembered in fact. On a par with 6 and 7 imo.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the characters are definitely better, the pacing and sense of adventure isn’t quite up there with VII for me though which is why that is still GOAT

Recall this game being big the same time as Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life (although MGS preceded HL as I recall and I think Valve stated how much they’d loved MGS, leading us to speculate on some similarities with level design).

Anyway, my mate had the PS so I watched him play MGS, which looked great and FFVII…which seemed bad. The characters looked like weird blobby kids’ cartoon things, the dialogue seemed painfully sub-80s-straight-to-TV-fantasy film bad and when he was doing combat the turn-based system seemed like something from another age. Regrettably I’ve never been in a situation to sit down and play it again and see if perspective makes it more my sort of game. Always been quite in awe of the series as a whole when I’ve read about it.

2 Likes