šŸŽ® How Fun Was It: Pokemon

The battle music still makes me feel fucking stressed out:

Weirdly I donā€™t really remember this. Wonder if I used to play with the sound down? Hmm

The missingno stuff, coupled with Mew being hidden in the game and all the mystery aspect to the anime made it feel so completely intriguing. Like there were secrets always waiting to be discovered. When youā€™ve fought the Lavender Town ghosts, the missingno stuff felt like an intentional creepy part of the game. Plus being young, plus fledgeling internet being so rife with bullshit, I was so convinced that shit like Venustoise or Togepi or Marril were in the game somehow. Then the Ruins Of Alph in Johto freaked my fucking nut out.

1 Like

If you complete the PokĆ©dex and beat the Elite 4 100 times and level one of every PokĆ©mon to 100 then youā€™ll get into Billā€™s back yard where you can catch Mewthree.

1 Like

literally all you needed was articuno using blizzard anyway, proper game breaker that

1 Like

I used to play this guy at school who had a lvl 55 Venusaur that would just destroy my team. Then came the day I bagged Articuno and oh how the tables were turned

1 Like

Looks like @cutthelights and I are in the Squirtle Squad.
Anyone else?

1 Like

Love that they included the ā€˜Mew truckā€™ from RBY in Letā€™s Go Pikachu/Eevee:

Still doesnā€™t do anything, itā€™s just a nice truck!

4 Likes

I love that some Japanese geeks were like ā€œlol, letā€™s put this little Easter egg into this game which we presume may sell a couple of thousand copies and never leave Japanā€ and a few years later every child between 6 and 14 on the planet is obsessed with moving the truck to get hold of the magical critter that your boss programmed into the game without you even knowing.

2 Likes

Having first played a pokemon game this year and completing Yellow I can say itā€™s a very solid 3/5 game

1 Like

Only played yellow. Itā€™s a 3.

1 Like

Had to explain this whole thing to my daughter as she played Letā€™s Go, not an easy conversation

ā€˜so the truck is full of Easter eggs?ā€™

Haha

The cartoon was weird nonsense shite though, 1/5

Really respected how much they crammed onto the gameboy, itā€™s a very clever concept for a streamlined RPG based on the limitations and USP of the tech.

However there are still some downsides which stop me giving it a 4:

. repetitive music (especially when you get the bike and thatā€™s all you ever hear)
. dungeon design is bad and boring in the 2nd half of the gameā€¦backtracking across high encounter rates to push a boulder some place.
. No memorable characters

Listening to the RBY soundtrack for the 10th time in a fortnight. Fuck me itā€™s so good

2 Likes

151 memorable characters m9

6 Likes

ah well if youā€™re counting the pokemon then thereā€™s about 20 good ones

ah yes, who could forget checks notes ā€¦ Voltorb

1 Like

I bet more people in the world could name Voltorb on sight than like motherfuckin Link or Master Chief or Cloud.