🎮 How Fun Was It: Rollercoaster Tycoon (series)

1 Oddworld: Abes Exodus - 3.77

Now its time to look back in great fondness with the Rollercoaster Tycoon series. A game where many hours of fun could simply be gained by naming one of your rides ‘Your Mum’

Rollercoaster Tycoon

0 voters

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

0 voters

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

0 voters

The Tycoon games were a real bright spark of inventiveness in the 90s. It’s a real shame that the genre mostly died off after the turn of the century.

4 Likes

big fan of 1 and 2 - I’d played a lot of Theme Park on the Mega Drive and Saturn and thoroughly enjoyed both, so when we got our first PC and Rollercoaster Tycoon was fairly new it was a bit of a no brainer, and it was ace. hammered the sequel too.

really liked the building of the roller coasters themselves, although I had a tenancy to build awesome looking ones that twisted inside themselves and were ace, but also had a 1 for excitement and 16 or so for intensity so no-one ever went on them. also a big fan of building the water slide and launching people off the ride if you built up too much speed, and occasionally digging a big hole and dropping guests who complained too much in it.

never played 3 for some reason

Theyve been coming back recently, though i dont think any have been truely great.

RCT3 was great. Made some amazing coasters on it

Twin Points Hospital, Cities Skyline and Plabet Coaster are good doe

One of the greats. Michael Schumacher.

1 Like

RT2 is a brilliant, brilliant game. Still play it now, although I do get fed up of having to go round identifying areas of sick every 15 minutes.

I mean the easiest way to deal with that is every time you build a new path hire a janitor and set those paths in his parameter then it’ll never be a problem. Just do it as you build

So, so good. Would love a remake for Switch.

That’s fine, but once you get to a certain size there’s always bits they miss and one tiny area can kill your park rating which is a bit daft. It’s a very minor quibble compared to the incredible rollercoaster building physics.

Never played any of them, but they’ve jointly produced some of the funniest video game content on the internet.

3 Likes
1 Like

I WANT SOMEONE TO MAKE A VIDEO OF A COMPLETE TEST SO I CAN USE IT AS A SCREEN SAVER

Amazing game, written in machine code IIRC

2 Likes

Believe so, thats why it was able to run on a potato

1 Like

Never understood how after building the world’s most exciting rollercoaster, the general public would just ignore it and instead queue for two hours to go on the helter skelter next door

I used to have a janitor window open at all times, spent half my life dropping him on piles of sick

4 Likes