šŸŽ® How Fun Was It: Sonic

For real though
I called it how good was it really then got told to change the title
Then I called it How Was It
Then got told to change the title
So went with How Fun Was It.

But iā€™ll make a point of stating a game doesnt need to be fun to be good when the time comes

1 Like

Sorry, hadnā€™t read any of the threads, didnā€™t realise it was so hotly debated!

1 Like

Iā€™d argue that few good games arenā€™t also fun and few fun games canā€™t be considered good, even if theyā€™re flawed. For the medium it seems a fair synonym to me (esp with the other series going on!)

1 Like

Just need to have an official tag on each one and weā€™re done.

Games need to be fun IMO otherwise what is the point? Do people really play the game equivalent of a Lars von Trier film and rate it?

It should just be called ā€œRate this game out of 5ā€

1 Like

:video_game:How Rate This Game Out of 5 Was It Really? :video_game:

12 Likes

First video game I ever played, the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I remember having to phone my mumā€™s friend to ask how to move between the up and down moving platforms on Green Hill Zone act 2.

THE MUSIC! Starlight Zone in particular, and also Marble. Remember finding up down left right a+start for the fire time.

When Sonic dies of suffocation its really awful innit. BUH-BUH.

:heart:

3 Likes

Iā€™m giving this a 5 but my vote is for the (obviously not) superior MASTER SYSTEM version.

So much nostalgia for Sonic. I had t shirts, me and my pals used to draw pics of him. Donā€™t even care about the gameplay, I spent hours and hours on this.

So. Much. This.

Had many a drunken group singalong of the music from Marble Zone on the way home from the pub in my late teens*

*early 30s

NOW YOURE GONNA GET IT ROBOTNIK

really liked all the little animations when you left him idle for a bit as well

1 Like

Not a fan of Papers, Please then?

best special stage:

• rotating maze
  • dodging missiles in the tunnel
  • that 3d one where youā€™ve got to turn all the orbs blue or something

0 voters

I have not played this game.

used to know the position of all the rings in the Sonic 2 special stages. probably still do tbf.

the Mega Drive Sonic games are absolute stone cold classics for me, played them so much and can happily still play them nowadays. think 2 is still my favourite though.

really liked Sonic Adventure 2, got it on the Gamecube as I never had a Dreamcast and played it enough to get all the max ranks on every level so I could unlock a pretty ropey iirc Green Hill Zone. played Sonic Adventure after that and didnā€™t enjoy it as much.

liked Generations, tolerated 4, loved Mania. hope they make a Mania 2, ideally with more than just one zone from Sonic 1.

Also big shout out to the Master System games, played Sonic 1 relentlessly (think this was the only Sonic game where Iā€™ve paid attention to the score and kept a record of what my highest score was and kept trying to better it), and Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos were good. enjoyed the Advance games too.

also the music to pretty much every Sonic game, good, bad or indifferent, is ace

:heart:

2 Likes

In case youā€™re not aware itā€™s a game where you play a border guard deciding who gets into your country. Your choices have consequences which are almost always bad - your aim is really to cause the least misery you can. Amazing game.

I think the medium has a lot of potential to explore things that arenā€™t strictly fun, though itā€™s still in its stumbling infancy in doing so. Probably not a discussion for the Sonic thread though (and not a comment on the duckmanā€™s title either!)

1 Like

Used to absolutely love the little bugger when I was a kid, obsessed with him. Loved those games. I cannot bear 2D Sonic these days though, the gameplay is so whack. In all of them, even Mania. Apparently the Mega Drive games were actually way slower when we played them because the console wasnā€™t able to draw as much power in the PAL region as needed, so any emulations you play now are faster as the games were in other regions.

I still dig the Adventure games and to a certain degree Heroes though

Sort of.

The PAL standard renders at 25 frames per second and NTSC at 30. These are fixed standards the developers had to work around.

The easiest way to do this is to simply slow your game down by a sixth so nothing else changes - what most Devs did to make the games playable. The alternative would have been to completely redo the game from the ground up to compensate - youā€™d need to change the length of everything, redo all your frame animations etc.

Thereā€™s no reason the mega drive couldnā€™t have done Sonic at the same speed as the Genesis from a power point of view, itā€™s just the game was designed for NTSC and a full port for PAL wasnā€™t worth it.

1 Like

Being able to open up the top of the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge and put an old game in to play as Knuckles was the coolest thing ever when I was a kid, blew my tiny mind.

4 Likes