How good are the Arctic Monkeys?

i loved Humbug (still the only one i ever go back to) and then found Suck It And See really disappointing. interesting.

I still like them all tbh, Humbug is great but it’s the one I listen to least, might give it a spin now actually because there’s some great tracks on it.

Interesting you say that about SIAS - I think it’s their most accomplished work and contains Turner’s best songwriting. Came out around the same time as the Submarine soundtrack (both share Piledriver Waltz) which I also love.

liked where they were going with Humbug and then SIAS felt like a backwards step to me then. i haven’t heard it in about 5 years though

First couple of records I really like, everything since has been sub par shite. 6

Perhaps probably the most over rated bands of the last 20 years.

I like em a decent bit. AM is a pretty good record a thoroughly enjoyable bit of stuff

Love Alex turner solo as well

1 Like

I think they’re very consistent but I don’t really get much from their albums beyond a few good songs and some clever wordplay. Apparently the whole story of them breaking through on the internet was quite a calculated move by their management and they’ve had quite an easy ride as a band in general which I think that reflects a bit in their music (still better than Coldplay though).

any links or more info on this please?

Mark bull posted his bandwidth donkeys years ago from his own website when it all kicked off cause it was the only website hosting the mp3s from the cds they were giving out and he was getting rinsed by the hosting company. I don’t think it was them or management that were savvy it was more their mates. Doesn’t mean management didn’t help out eventually.
They had a bit of interest when I first saw em in 04 at the attic in Manchester nothing to what it was eventually with record labels but it was starting to build.

Alex Turner seems ok but he’s in a band making ROCK music. Feel like he should get over making rock music and maybe just improve all round and then he might be a bit better.

1 Like

I was told by someone who worked with their label so don’t have any proof sorry, although this interview says that they were with their management long before they were signed or recorded any demos Monkey business: Ian McAndrew on 25 years of Wildlife Entertainment - Music Business Worldwide

Oh aye I remember getting them from there. I chucked him a few quid on the donate page after the bill came through iirc. As someone who was swept up in the hype back in the day, their growth all seemed fairly ‘organic’ and their popularity/music was spread via word of mouth on forums etc. - It doesn’t really matter though, I guess it’s a well done to their mates or management or whoever, it certainly worked.

Ah right fair enough. They kinda did breakthrough on the internet though, regardless of the ways and means behind them.

i’m pretty sure they were played on Zane Lowe in the Winter of 2004 so having management that could get cd’s etc to the right places makes sense. I have always thought that the truth was always somewhere in the middle. Like they had the cd’s being sent to the right people in the industry by management. They were uploaded onto the web by a fan/mate management found out and told him where to post them. He definitely posted them on libertines.org I remember that.

go through phases of liking them. think YFWN is their best album on the whole. don’t really like them pretending to be QOTSA but think that alex wotsit can write some good tunes.

Yeah from what I recall they were featured quite a few times times in the NME as well before being signed as well (in fact I think it was a NME writer who played them on Zane’s show). It did seem like a bit of an attempt to emulate the libertines who were sharing demos and stuff online for a few years before then.

Favourite Worst Nightmare > Whatever > Humbug > AM > Suck it and See

Used to consider myself a fan, in spite of all the hype and fawning over them, but the last two records weren’t very good