đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” 2Pac

Seeing as, like it or not, they’re eternally linked, though it would be interesting to do 2Pac and Biggie alongside each other

Leaderboard is in the Biggie thread

Tupac then?

0 voters

Albums

• 2Pacalypse Now
  • Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z

• Me Against The World
  • All Eyez On Me
  • The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
  • R U Still Down? (Remember Me)
  • Still I Rise
  • Until The End Of Time
  • Better Dayz
  • Loyal To The Game
  • Pac’s Life

0 voters

And from the Greatest Hits

• Keep Ya Head Up
  • 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
  • Temptations
  • God Bless The Dead
  • Hail Mary
  • Me Against The World
  • How Do U Want It
  • So Many Tears
  • Unconditional Love
  • Trapped
  • Life Goes On
  • Hit 'Em Up
  • Troublesome '96
  • Brenda’s Got A Baby
  • I Ain’t Mad At Cha
  • I Get Around
  • Changes
  • California Love
  • Picture Me Rollin’
  • How Long Will They Mourn Me?
  • Toss It Up
  • Dear Mama
  • All About U
  • To Live & Die In L.A.
  • Heartz Of Men

0 voters

V nice idea

4 Likes

Don’t love either of these canonical big hitters as much as I possibly should do tbh but of the two I prefer Pac (which is odd as I generally favour the East Side sound when it comes to this era)

Can’t C Me is my fave Pac track though, that opening salvo is an extremely satisfying bit of rhyming to listen to IMO.

Looking forward to these threads though, maybe they’ll work a charm and the penny will properly click for one or both of them.

1 Like

Enjoy a fair amount of his tracks but never really loved an album. E everything around all eyes on me was full of filler. An important and inspirational voice in the world of hip hop that I respect more than actually enjoy 3

2 Likes

4 thought Shorty Wanna Be A Thug was a single and it isn’t. Agree about respecting more than I enjoy.

2pac is a complete blindspot in my hip hop knowledge. One of those artists that loads of people I’ve known have loved but they are mostly people who’s taste in hip hop I don’t trust so I’ve never checked him out.

Find it interesting listening to Hip Hop Saved My Life and listening to their thoughts on him too.

misc thoughts: great voice; kept his rhymes simpler than big but that was a stylistic choice rather than lack of ability; proper thrilling when he just lets loose and really goes for it e.g. hit em up; the way he pronounces “mobile phone” on changes is very funny to me; production on his stuff prior to all eyez is v hit or miss which means those albums are merely “quite good”; think old school might be my favourite song of his

3 Likes

Yeah as others have said it’s the quality over quantity which makes me go for a 4 for biggie and a 3 for pac. Lots of good stuff but can’t remember the last time I listened to an album end to end. Might listen to all eyez today at some point

1 Like

Prefer Biggie - 3

Rapist. 1/5.

A big part of the wrong turn hiphop took (for me) in the early 90s. Be interesting to see the thread, my take would be that he was a big deal at the time but that his star has definitely faded since.

Also, sex criminal.

1/5.

1 Like

Not sure splitting this across two threads is a good idea

Good point - let’s just capture all the artists not already covered under How Good Are They Really - Other.

I guess he means on the same day (apologies if not jonny)

No I mean having two 90s hip hop threads running concurrently. But it’s funkys shout

I spent an evening at a hostel when backpacking around Europe. Having had a fairly extreme night in Amsterdam, I was exhausted arriving in Berlin, but went to the bar to find people to hang with the next day.

Got chatting to a Canadian guy about music and on hearing my (admittedly fairly uninformed) dismissal of 2pac, he described him as a ‘poet’ and urged me to investigate, which I thought sounded like a good plan.

As I was finishing up my beer and heading to bed, the Canadian fellow expressed some dissapointment, "Maaan, I thought we could go fuck some bitches together.’ It appeared we had somewhat misread each other.

I politely explained how tired I was, to which he memorably responded, ‘No man, you’re doing it wrong, there’s always time for pussy’.

Maybe it was the sleep deprivation, or the hefty dose of hallucinogens I had ingested the previous day, but from that moment 2pac and that parting line have become inextricably linked in my psyche.

Abstain/5

26 Likes

Gave him a point for being in Digital Underground.