šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Arctic Monkeys

Might drop my score because theyā€™re directly responsible for Milburn, little man tate and reverend & the makers getting record deals

8 Likes

505 is their best track.

13 Likes

This is a nice tune.
2/5 though.

I was 17 when they burst through and although I didnt like them, I can see how thrilling it mustve been for fans of that music to hear Dancefloor and Sun Goes Down. Actually think those singles hold up well.

Then they just got drearier and drearier but fair play for trying something new.

Gonna give them a 2 for that, and a note that Alex Turners soundtrack for Submarine is lovely

Never really got onboard with the first album, think the hype kinda put me off and I never really bothered with it until much later. Still donā€™t think itā€™s all that, but I get why it broke them in a huge way. Second and third albums are decent. Really like Suck It and See. Not massively in to AM. Tranquility Base is great, think One Point Perspective is the best thing theyā€™ve done. Some great tracks across all their albums though, and you could make a properly brilliant best of out theirā€¦ er, best stuff. Probably a 4, but might go 5 if they get shat on.

1 Like

Quite the presumption

So far itt thereā€™s been one 1 and lots of 5s to counteract all the 1s

1 purely because I worked somewhere that used on of their songs as hold music and it made me irrationally annoyed and still does every time I hear it

2 Likes

2 very good pop rock albums, then loads of pretentious sub-par Scott Walker rip off dross. 2 I think?
Very good when I saw them in Cardiff as a teenager though.
Ehh up Mardy bummmmm

1 Like

Really like Submarine.

Sure I would have been into them if Iā€™d been the right age, they had a certain spark that few bands have. But I was too old, Iā€™d forged my own different tastes by the time they came along.

Interesting seeing so many positive comments about the last album maybe I should give it a listen.

Not sure Iā€™ve heard enough to vote tbh. If I do will be a 2.

Iā€™ve seen more 2s and 5s tbf. I loved the first album, was the perfect age for it. But saw them around the release of the second album and it was awful. Put me off them them and havenā€™t really bothered since.

1 Like

Seemed to rework that one meat and potatoes rock riff in most of their songs. Not very creative to do that

Stood next to Alex Turner during a Horrors set at a festival once. Said ā€œthese lot are fucking shite eh?ā€ to him and he said ā€œNo, I absolutely love them, theyā€™re coming on tour with usā€ and walked off.

30 Likes

I quite liked the debut album and especially the last track (the name of which escapes me). Since then, Iā€™ve not been arsed. I think The Last Shadow Puppets was as far as I got, which isnā€™t even Arctic Monkeys. As @hazzyc say, I do lump them in - not with the landfill indie of the time, but as one of those bands who people with a passing interest in music enjoy. I know thereā€™s more to them than that.

Should probably have abstained but have voted now and thereā€™s no going back. Gonna go with a 3 and hope it doesnā€™t weigh their score down too badly.

I remember right at the beginning they scared people by getting to number one off lots of downloads which might be a thing people cite as important one day

A Certain Romance is a fucking brilliant song tbf to them

9 Likes

A Certain Romance

1 Like

Found it impossible to seperate the music from the hype on the first album but really got into FWN. Results may vary ever since but they always have a few good tracks on each album. Think heā€™s an underrated songwriter and lyricist.

3/5

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the one. Lovely track.

Yeah they did at some point capture that market didnā€™t they, at least in the UK. A sort of general rock radio singles band - the edgy contemporary choice for people who generally only really like the most famous classic rock singles. They probably sneak into those ā€˜best driving anthems everā€™ compilations.