🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Bloc Party

Alright? Time for another one of these I reckon.

Here’s confirmation of Pixies high score

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Beatles 4.31
Pixies 4.3
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Kendrick Lamar 3.97
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
The Clash 3.77
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
The Smashing Pumpkins 3.3
Elton John 3.28
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Jay-Z 3.14
Taylor Swift 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Green Day 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

And now, we look at Bloc Party

blocparty-main-LST100646-ConvertImage

Go on then:

0 voters

Album (cause this will be close)

• Silent Alarm
  • A Weekend In The City
  • Intimacy
  • Four
  • Hymns

0 voters

2 Likes

Single

• Little Thoughts
  • Helicopter
  • So Here We Are
  • Banquet
  • Pioneers
  • Two More Years
  • The Prayer
  • I Still Remember
  • Hunting For Watches
  • Flux
  • Mercury
  • Talons
  • One More Chance
  • Octopus
  • Truth
  • Ratchet
  • The Love Within

0 voters

One good album. All their good songs sound the same. Descended into pure comedy

19 Likes

Tempted to up it just for the release point at “so fucking useless” in positive tension

8 Likes

Good singles band, by which I mean they have a single good song.

1/5.

14 Likes

A 2 really because the greatness of the album Four + Helicopter isn’t great compared to the rest that isn’t so good.

But Helicopter is such a FUCKING TUNE so it’s a 3

I was really big into them when Silent Alarm came out, listened to it constantly, and if I hear it now it brings back a lot of memories of my first year at uni etc and it still stands up, the singles off it are brilliant, and This Modern Love is so so good. Then The Prayer single came out and I thought ‘yeah ok, bit of a departure that’s quite good, shame about the lyrics but still’ and bought AWITC when it came out. What a crock of absolute shit that record is. Just a turd. Like @Aggpass said ‘descent into comedy’, and it’s hard to top that description. Flux is ok, and Two More Years, but apart from that just unlistenable trash tbh.
I’ve gone with a 3, but SA will always be a 5 to me.

3 Likes

2/5 remember seeing them at Glastonbury in 2005 and they are still the most excited people I’ve ever seen on stage. 1st album is really great. Always like The Prayer for some strange reason (probably the drums at the start tbf).

2 Likes

Really liked the first record, the rest are poor. I also like saying the kele okereke

First album very good and Flux was a good single. Just a footnote in music really.

1 Like

They were quite an exciting band briefly, but considered against some of the others in that list they’ve got to score low.

It’s a shame they never followed up Silent Alarm. One of the best debuts of that era.

2/5

2 Likes

2/5

Silent alarm is a mid 00s indie classic. Everything else, apart from patches of AWITC, has been turd. Can’t forgive them for that.

1 Like

Also, Eddie Argos accidentally uncovering just how seriously Kele took himself was quite something.

yup, really loved silent alarm, download all their b sides off limewire, saw them play a bunch.

but

2/5

7 Likes

this song reduces me to tears everytime I hear it. how the fuck do you release that.

5 Likes

Good band. Like Silent Alarm, Intimacy and Four a lot.

Hymns is one of the worst albums ever made.

3/5

EDIT - Pixies getting 4.3…nonsense!!

2 Likes

I think I’m going to go for a 2, maybe a 3 on these guys. Can only really comment on the first two albums and they are really good, but I never listen to them these days. Banquet is still an absolute BANGER.

Think I listened to the third album but it did nothing for me and I’ve never bothered with anything since then. Was surprised to see that they’re still a going thing when they did those Silent Alarm shows last year. How many of the original members are still in the band? And am I right in saying that one of Menomena joined them?

fucking hell the drums on positive tension are so dope actually. gonna up it to a 3

5 Likes