šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Bon Iver

How those 2 have never produced at least an ep together is beyond me.

I think 3/5 I like the albums but, Iā€™m not passionate about them. Think the last 2 albums are way better than people think they are and ā€œfuckifiedā€ is cracking made up swearing.

My main memory of them will always be the amount of people doing coke before they came out to play at Primavera and Slayer playing straight after

3 Likes

3/5

For Emma is a big favourite of mine, but the rest has been diminishing returns ever since. Never caught them live.

Or essentially what @Severed799 posted

2 Likes

Heā€™s become a bit of a meme both on here and elsewhere, but his voice is genuinely an all-timer for me.

Also really like the fact that this guy whoā€™s popular enough to have songs with literally hundreds of millions of listens on streaming services and have songs covered by contestants on Simon Cowellā€™s raft of shite keeps trying out new things and ways to warp and subvert his songwriting in different directions.

Think most of 22, a million (a much better record than I gave it credit for when it came out) was made on a Teenage Engineering OP-1 which the gear/production nerd in me is fascinated/impressed by.

5 Likes

Heā€™s alright. I loved that Gayngs project he was involved in. Need to dig that record out again.

1 Like

That Gayngs record is ace.

2 Likes

Find this interesting as itā€™s basically exactly the show I saw, but found really dull :sweat_smile:

Itā€™s a weird one for me.

Saw him at ATP when heā€™d just done the first album and he one if those perfect moment slots so I got that album and loved it.

But then I just totally went off him to the point where I have to skip the tracks he guests vocals on for Colin Stetsonā€™s solo album

1 Like

Big big ā€œitā€™s alriteā€ energy from me. Emma is probably the best of his, but really there are only a couple of tunes that do anything for me. Didnā€™t get the love for the second album at all.

1 Like

3, by the way

I loved the first two records and the blood bank EP but he totally fell off a cliff after that. I respect the fact heā€™s tried to develop his sound but itā€™s just not for me

Iā€™ve got a lot of time for that Volcano Choir record too

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen some of his set at Glastonbury and at Porto and the was so bad I went from not liking him to fucking hating him. Canā€™t stand his poxy voice either.

1 Like

Got to admit I quite like that Big Red Machine album went from wanting to dislike it to this isnā€™t bad by the end of the 1st track. Completely get people who canā€™t stand his vocal style but, I find other peoples way more offensive.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s maybe both my favourite T-Swizzle and Great French Winter song.

Heā€™s alright. Not something I can get terribly excited about but he does that genre so much better with more atmosphere and feeling than a million other people, who in Britain all appear to be boring guys called Tom, have boring tattoos and be the definition of boring. As ever, I probably need to investigate more. A high 3.

First album passed me by but I checked out the second album after all the rave reviews. Was fully expecting some beardy hipster nonsense that I would hateā€¦ however: itā€™s a magnificent album from start to finish! Would likely be in my top 10 albums of the '10s.

Saw him live during that period as well and he was amazing. Hadnā€™t quite appreciated all the different voices on the record are his. Worked brilliant live with his multi-mic setup.

Been diminishing returns since then though. The followup was loads of electronic noodling trying to cover up the fact that there were minimal tunes on it.

That taylor swift tune was lovely though.

Iā€™ll go with a 4 but could easily be a 5 on another day.

I was intrigued by 22 A Million when it came out with all the sleeping in a stable mate stuff so listened to that a bit. Apart from that Iā€™m only familiar with his singing sounding out of place on Taylor Swiftā€™s latest albums so donā€™t feel qualified enough to vote

Absolute shite. 1

5 Likes

Would never put myself down as a fan but 22 A Million and the album before that are absolutely brilliant. Creeks is a favourite. Blood Bank is a great tune as well, it reminds me of waiting for a rural bus (ie may or may not arrive on any given day) every morning in 2010.

Never got For Emma. Sometimes listen to Skinny Love but overall itā€™s not my kind of singer-songwriter thing.

1 Like

That Taylor song is so, so good as is Evermore!

1 Like

Also think heā€™s a for real artist. Love that he hasnā€™t done another straightforward singer-songwriter acoustic album and instead makes weird electronic music. 22 A Million is pretty weird sounding and also so, so bleak to my ears

1 Like