šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Bright Eyes

I somehow just spotted and misread the Eyes word and got excited that it was a thread for Eels.

Anyhow, I used to be a big Bright Eyes fan up until (and including) Lifted, but then just lost interest. Iā€™ve given them a 4 for those first few albums anyhow as they got a lot of listens from me back then.

My all time number one musical artist*

Every single song contains at least one line that makes me pause. I canā€™t think of any other artist who so consistently captures such stunning imagery or meaningful ideas, and ties it to such powerful music.

I first heard of Bright Eyes at uni when a girl gave me a mix CD with At the Bottom of Everything on It with a note next to the track that said ā€œNew Dylan potential?ā€ Unfortunately for her I didnā€™t like Dylan much, so this wasnā€™t a massive recommendation, but the song still grabbed me and I was hooked from there on. Their music has been a constant in my life for more than a decade now and I canā€™t see that changing. I understand some people wonā€™t like his voice, and I can see why some people will (wrongly) dismiss them as emo sad boys, but thatā€™s fine, I think Bright Eyes is meant to feel like something singular that only you understand and appreciate. Itā€™s not for everyone, itā€™s for me.

*Conflating Bright Eyes and Oberst more broadly here

11 Likes

Personally think the best album heā€™s ever released is Read Music/Speak Spanish and that the best (and most important and prescient) track of his is MariKKKopa - extraordinary that that was released in 2012 when there are still so few artists engaging with the same issues even today.

6 Likes

Almost word for word my thoughts. By the time they came along I was way past that stage of having music that spoke exclusively to me and understood my tortured self (which is not to denigrate anyone who found this in Bright Eyes - I certainly did have it myself, only with older bands a decade or so earlier), I tried again with them last year off the back of Better Oblivion, and it was okay but by no means revelatory.

1 Like

Oooh yeah, I did absolutely cane that one for a good while. Another argument for Bright Eyes coming along at the wrong time for me - in the early 2000s I was properly into banging and shouting, and couldnā€™t be doing with considered acoustic songwriting.

3 Likes

I recognise and mourn this. That kind of connection to an artist is a special thing but it becomes less and less attainable as you get older.

1 Like

Came along in my ā€œfallowā€ indie period and never really got into them.

This is a banger though

2 Likes

Saw him around the time of Lifted, Orā€¦ With a few friends from uni who were fans but he was upstaged by the support (Rilo Kiley and another band off Saddle Creek). They all did the encore together of I recall correctly, which was nice. Donā€™t particularly like his voice or style, though he seems to have an impressive work rate and ethos.

Have listened to everything up to that point, the only thing thatā€™s stuck is Lover I Donā€™t Have to Love. Tried occasionally to listen to either of the simultaneous albums after that but donā€™t remember finishing either one. Iā€™m.sure heā€™s released a lot since but canā€™t imagine it would change my take on him if wasnā€™t on board from the early works.

5/5

three new hit songs from bright eyes 7" is the pinnacle of music

peopleā€™s key is underrated

10 Likes

Bought lifted off the back of a glowing pitchfork review, back when they were relevant. Took a long time to click but when it did, it really did, and, for me, those are the bandā€™s that have stuck with me most. The bands I got into in an immediate sense tend to be the ones where my interest wanes.

Lifted and fevers and mirrors are top tier. He buffed off the rough edges a bit for Iā€™m wide awake and itā€™s still a very good album but itā€™s not one I really return to. Varying quality since then and nothing as vital as the top tier stuff but heā€™s still someone Iā€™ll check out when a new release comes out.

Totally understand that theyā€™re not for everyone and that his voice is a sticking point. Desaperacidos are great too.

1 Like

thinking about buying the vinyl box, wonder how many bones it would set me back

1 Like

Love slapping the Christmas record on in December, full of hits

2 Likes

I think Triple Spiral is one of songs that pops up in my head the most

2 Likes

donā€™t think i could really say iā€™'ve properly listened to collection of songs or letting off the happiness beyond a cursory listen. just canā€™t for some reason.

165 on Norman records. Was tempted but a bit too rich for my blood. Also doesnā€™t have letting off the happiness which is slightly annoying

Letting Off the Happiness isnā€™t that far off Fevers in terms of quality, itā€™s a bit rougher and the strength of songs isnā€™t there, but itā€™s identifiably Bright Eyes, and thereā€™s some good stuff - Pull My Hair would probably be in my best of.

Collection of Songs is a whole different kettle of fish, itā€™s a fascinating curiosity but I never just put it on to listen to it.

This has reminded me that Noise Floor, the b-sides and rarities album, is so much better than most bands main albums. Blue Angels Air Show!

2 Likes

Was v close to putting bad blood in the shared playlist. Lost of v good stuff on there

fuck it, iā€™m doing it. think i only ever had wide awake o vinyl and sold it for some stupid reason.

yeah noise floor is great! obv couple of tunes on letting off the happiness but donā€™t think i would ever put it on just because. i got into him around lifted and remember even going back to fevers being a bit woah there production-wise.

1 Like

also, thereā€™s no beginning to the story and every day and every night is the best bright eyes mini album that never was. some amazing songs on those.

3 Likes

The split with Neva Dinova is really good too. Guy made a hell of a lot of good music between 2000 and 2005ish despite being a complete wreck

7 Likes