🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Bright Eyes

Did a HGATR world cup a while back and Radiohead inevitably won. Might just put them all in a big poll.

1 Like

Would be quite interested to see everyone ranking the 100 artists 1-100, then points given from 100-1 respectively, and the scores aggregated into a list. Imagine it might look quite different from the current ranking.

4 Likes

Ooh that could be a good way of doing it actually

1 Like

This is good idea. I think to make it a little more accessible (and manageable for me) I’ll ask people to do a top 10 or 20 in order (10pts for favourite, 9 for second and so on) and do it like that maybe.

Ranking System with Octobadger
or Chaos with Marty Funkhouser

3 Likes

100 artists is too many for me to sort for each one using Excel on my phone with limited skills!

I could probably do something if you liked?

1 Like

Hmmm possibly. I think it’s a big ask to rank 100 artists though and less would get more traction. Also it wouldn’t be able to happen till after the 100th thread, which might defeat the point, and even my way would mean pausing the threads so no new artists crop up you want in your 10. I’ll think about it.

Choosing a top 20 from the list might be interesting though? #justiceforbelleandsebastian

Or maybe it could be 19 from 99, with your 20th choice being a wildcard of your own choosing

(But yeah, just do what’s going to be easiest for you :))

3 Likes

Might pause it after the 99th then and get people to do a top 20 a la the sportspeople thread and do the results before the 100th hgatr.

1 Like

Sorry for making a logistically demanding suggestion and not offering to do something to help run it myself! I have less time during lockdown than I would ordinarily (my wife’s with the NHS and I can work remotely, still trying to fit in a full time job worth of hours around childcare for two young kids).

I think a top 20 and also a bottom 10 from the list might a worthwhile smaller set. Some artists currently midtable might be common picks in both (would guess Pink Floyd had more 5s and 1s than 3s for example).

1 Like

A bottom 10 would be interesting actually. For instance I don’t think the spice girls would necessarily feature last for a lot of people yet they’re bottom of the table.

3 Likes

Gutted I missed this one. Straight up 5/5, just an incredible artist, an amazing catalogue full of unique albums and someone who’s been so important to me for nearly 20(!) years now.

I remember hearing Drunk Kid Catholic on the Evening Session must have been around 2001 and around then they did an actual session for it and played Waste of Paint and it blew me away. I picked up 3 New Hit Songs and then Letting Off The Happiness and it was perfect for where I was at the time. Then I got Fevers and it blew me away. Whenever I listen to it now I can still picture the room I first listened to it. Been following them/him every since and Lifted came out about a year later.

To continue the lyric chat up thread I think he’s one of the best lyricists around, you could pick just about any line from one of his songs and it’ll be great.
I love that extended metaphor and double meaning thing he does like on Spent on Rainy Days: I think I’ll print it in the personals cos I’m looking for a match, someone to light me up, to burn the proof of all the things that I’ve done or in You Will You say that I treat you like a book on a shelf, I don’t take you out that often cos I know I’ve completed you .

Even the break up songs on Fevers that seems to be what people use as the ‘it’s teenage I’ve been dumped songs’ are some of the best. And we speak in ruined tongues and the words we say aren’t meant for anyone, it’s just a mumbled sentence to a casual acquaintance where there was once you is just perfect.

4 Likes

Which polls have had the most and lowest number of votes?

Strokes had over 200, I think Supremes might be the lowest but not sure.

1 Like

Really like this idea (or a top 20 or something). Think the results would be a lot different and a lot more representative of who people actually listen to

1 Like

Just give it to Neil Young already

4 Likes

Give it to Youngsy till the end of the season

6 Likes

Right here is what’s gonna happen. After the 99th thread (which will be a week tomorrow I think) I’m going to ask people to submit their top 20 from the list in order so 20pts for your favourite, 19 for your second down to 1pt, then I’ll do a thread with the results before the 100th HGATR.

• Good idea
  • Bad idea but I have a way to improve it
  • Bad idea and I’m an unhelpful fool

0 voters

Good idea but, after the 100th :+1:

1 Like