🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Bruce Springsteen

that “ring on it” song supports the patriarchy

the ghost of tom joad promotes drug use among the clergy

and Born In The USA isn’t remotely vague

1 Like

No actually but then @xylo will probably grump at me but I’ve never taken any interest in Elvis.

We had Shakin’ Stevens when I was a kid so who needed Elvis ; )

2 Likes

Fairly unlikely that they’d use any music by POC though innit!

1 Like

tell me more

21 Likes

this is fair

probably true but these threads are about praising the individual. I’ve made it very clear I don’t believe in genius and nobody should be a fan of anything

1 Like

Deftones doing Please Please Please, let me get what i want?

1 Like

The version by dunno from the end of this is england

2 Likes

can you please point out all the talk of problematic class tourism in the beyonce thread sorry?

@Scunner POTW please.

1 Like

This thread moved quick!

Easiest 5 for me probably, remember him as a kid as my dad played him a lot - just thought it was fun rock music then went back when i was older and went deeper into the lyrics and whatnot and fell totally in love. Can see why people find him over earnest and cheesy but i just didn’t fall on that side on the fence.

Just incredible.

1 Like

I’m not getting involved in this again, but this point is untrue. They’re about giving your opinion on an artist whether that’s good or bad.

1 Like

yeah sure, I phrased that badly, they’re about talking about the individual/band in question

1 Like

fair enough, that gets away from any discussion of them outside of their music, which is fine but not the road I have taken in these threads

1 Like

Maybe for pop acts could have gone with the people who wrote the song and listed which songs they wrote, might be interesting to find similarities with stuff given to different artists

Think it’s more capitalist for a studio to control the songwriting etc and make loads of money off the back of the workers (performers), than for the performers to write their own songs and enjoy the fruits of their labour.

1 Like

Don’t know if Funkhouser has Thin Lizzy on the list but would love a thread about them.

2 Likes

sorry, i phrased that poorly. what i meant was bruce isn’t being dunked on by certain user(s) for writing about steel workers despite not having had a real job for 50 years, but the point was made in the beyonce thread that her being rich means she is a hypocrite for promoting social justice causes such as BLM or the BPP. it derailed her thread for a while, and while some users pushed back others did not, so i was asking why a similarly problematic aspect of bruce wasn’t an issue itt for said user(s). when there are two crucial difference between bruce and bey it’s a really fair point to raise, esp because a limp defence of “she doesn’t write her own stuff/play her own instruments” is frequently deployed as code by rockists against musicians of colour.

but yeah if the other thread was just trolling/attention seeking it’s not great but at least it’s an answer. anyway i’m going to the nathan for you thread now.