šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Cat Power

3 Likes

I still love Moon Pix and You Are Free but everything since has been patch city and she was absolutely dreadful live the one time I saw her which kinda killed it for me. 3

Incredible voice. She burned really brightly in my life for a few years - Moon Pix and Covers (and You Are Free to a slightly lesser degree) are all time favourites. Had I Found A Reason as a significant part of my marriage ceremony. Saw her live lots of time around that period as she always seemed to be touring and the shows were invariably 90% infuriatingly awful
and 10% sublime (kept going back for the 10%). Remember when i decided I couldnā€™t do her shows any more when she played in the big room at Butlins for one of the later ATPs and her show had turned into her doing a bad karaoke (although for balance my wife really enjoyed the performance). Havenā€™t really bonded with anything post You Are Free but do still pop them on occasionally and quite enjoy them. But for how brightly she shone Iā€™ll still go a 5.

2 Likes

Itā€™s from Wikipedia, I combined the official singles releases with the ā€˜promotional singlesā€™ list to beef it up a bit.

1 Like

I adore the Jukebox version of Metal Heart, itā€™s possibly my favourite track of hers. I particularly love the Sun tour arrangement which feels like a reinterpretation of a reinterpretation of her original version.

3 Likes

yep.

1 Like

Absolutely loved You are Free, know that record inside out. Dipped in to her other stuff but nothing else has really stuck. An all time voice though.

Only really know a couple of songs (The Greatest, which is, err, great) and this cover mostly

Never really went beyond that, found her dreadfully dull at All Points East that first year

1 Like

It was a bad show to support an album thatā€™s not really worth playing live (I mean itā€™s nice to stick on of a quiet evening) but also seem to recall she was on a bill with at least one ex boyfriend so probably not the best headspace for her.

I dunno, sheā€™s known for unpredictable live shows so I recall we were all pretty surprised she even got on stage and finished the set, lacklustre though it was.

I absolutely love Cat Power. Sheā€™s an incredible singer and a fabulous songwriter. Moon Pix and You Are Free are both absolute fantastic albums. I donā€™t think there is anyone else, and certainly no-one of her generation, who could write songs as direct, powerful and compelling as those that appear on those records. I mean who else has ever written a song like this?

She also made the greatest ever album of covers (her first one). Her version of Satisfaction is, I think, the greatest cover version ever by anyone.

I do think there has been a slight dip in quality. The Greatest is a beautiful album and the singles were great, but overall the songwriting was not as powerful. The second covers record was very bland compared to the first and I didnā€™t much like the electronic sound of Sun. Wanderer was a big return to form though.

Iā€™m pretty tough about handing out 5s and nearly went with a 4. Iā€™m rounding up to 5 though.

11 Likes

Why not? Itā€™s one of my favourites and the video is cool. Can imagine it sweeping up on 120 mins

for someone who doesnā€™t think theyā€™ve heard a noteā€¦ who is she likeā€¦? what circles does she move in etc?

For some reason I have a really strong relationship with the run of albums from You Are Free to Sun but the others have never had anywhere the same impact.

Itā€™s quite odd to consider an artist in such high regard (one of my favourite vocalists of all time) yet be somewhat indifferent towards what many would consider her strongest album in Moon Pix.

Iā€™ve also witnessed the numerous sides of her live performances, sometimes within the same show but there have been plenty of hair tingling moments scattered throughout.

5/5

I love the Moon Pix story as well

8 Likes

Living legend. This cut is still amazinā€™

6 Likes

Smog would probably be the closest comparison for the early stuff. You can definitely hear her influence on people like Phoebe Bridgers as well.

2 Likes

Snap. Itā€™s perfect isnā€™t it.

1 Like

nice one ta

5 Likes

Yeah, I think it got a fair bit of airtime on shows like that. There were no singles released from Moon Pix at all.