🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Cocteau Twins

this is lovely and true.

The last page is unfortunately too blurry to read, but from the other two pages, it’s fascinating to me that Guthrie shits on Treasure so much and lauds Victorialand. As this thread has shown Treasure is widely considered to be their best, and yet Guthrie considers it ‘unfinished’ and prefers the album that actually does sound unfinished; Raymonde’s absence is keenly felt.

1 Like

It’s a bit like the fact that the only thing all four of The Smiths agree on nowadays is that Strangeways was their best album by far. Musicians are often poor judges of their own material. I suppose that it is next to impossible for them to disentangle the work from all of the associations that they will have with it arising from whatever was going on in their lives when they made it.

3 Likes

they’re right tbf

3 Likes

There’s always one

I had another go at the last page

1 Like

who is on the cover of this issue? might try and get it

Neil Young (again)

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that make Strangeways… the worst Smiths album from the band members’ perspective then?

I think they enjoyed making it because they produced it entirely themselves without interference. The major failings out happened a little later. It’s the best sounding Smiths record, it just doesn’t have the best songs

Oh, that’s interesting. I thought 1987 was not a good time to be in the Smiths

I remember an NME interview with Johnny Marr in the 90s where the interviewer said something like “the tension between you and Morrissey is almost audible on Strangeways” and Marr pretty much agreed with him. Although he did also say something like his best times in the Smiths were all in the studio as he much preferred recording to touring

I wouldn’t want to say it was tension free, but the impression I get is that they were pretty happy together in the studio - it was everything else that was a problem.

Thank you! Again, another couple of little fascinating tidbits from Guthrie - firstly that 4AD were messing them around - though in fairness I think the label was a completely different beast by the time HOLV came out, 10x the roster etc. But secondly, how affronted he is at the thought of creating B-side material, especially when contextually, the Fontana years B-sides are arguably far better than the album tracks.

1 Like

Dunno if this was posted above but it popped up in my Youtube suggested videos - don’t think I’ve ever listened to a live recording of them, this is absolutely sublime.

1 Like

Lovely b-side, hadn’t really listened to the later b-sides before (didn’t realise the bsides comp only had the first cd on Spotify)

2 Likes