đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Coldplay

2.5/5 rounded down to 2/5 I reckon.

First 2 albums are fine, dont like anything they released post those 2. Chris Martin intends well but comes across like a total chump

2 Likes

He is to music what Jamie Oliver is to cooking.

9 Likes

They’ve a lot of songs that go “oh oh oh oh oh” that seem purposefully designed to give the mums a nice time

1 Like

Like Tesco own-brand rock. Also Chris Martin can’t sing 1/5

1 Like

:thinking:

The pair spent the rest of the university year planning a band, ultimately forming a group called Pectoralz.

Have always thought “Coldplay” was a really boring name for a band, but at least they aren’t called the “Pectoralz” anymore

4 Likes

It’s a 2 and they barely scrape that TBF

Ah, English Idlewild

17 Likes

Mostly meant for his well-meaning but ham-fisted approach to philanthropy. Added the “to cooking” bit because I know one of you herberts will find a link to Jamie Oliver’s band.

Chris Martin was in the year above me at school.

1/5

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

“The band’s creative director and former manager Phil Harvey is often referred to as the fifth member by the band.”

Wonder how many times he has actually been called this? Maybe four or five? Hate that trope. Oh this person decided we should put some flange on the guitar, call them the fifth member so we sound more artistic.

6 Likes

Another vote for the first two albums are good and then cba with anything else after that Davidoff cool water option.

Would also go 2.5, I’ll round up though because they’ll get a kicking anyway

2 Likes

Imagine WANTING to be referred to as the “fifth Coldplay” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I couldn’t name three of the other four

So Phil Harvey is the fifth member of Coldplay. Count how many times you hear that said. Truth is he is simply the creative director and former manager.

6 Likes

One of the bands I associate with Q magazine that bore me to tears. See also: Doves, Elbow and Idlewild

Their highs are scant, but fairly high. Rush of Blood is probably a 4/5 if I pull my head out of my pretentious ass long enough to admit it. The debut has two good songs on it (don’t panic is their only 5), quite liked a couple of singles from Viva but in a 3/5 didn’t make me check out the album kinda way

But the lows. Mother of God the lows. Fix You was already one of the most mawkish and irritating pieces of music I’d ever heard the first time I heard it. Four years later when it had soundtracked every ‘inspirational’ montage on every single goddamn TV program it was enough to make me want to quit hearing.

Fix you is better than a lot of their songs.

2 - because I only use 1 when there is nothing of musical worth in the band’s catalogue. They are lucky to get 2.

1 Like

They’re fine, like the first record, the second was decent enough, the rest is pish. Absolute dross live.
They seem like decent enough lads.

I did quite like when they headlined glastonbury they played a track by that band Viola Beach who all died in that horrific crash. Nice touch.

Don’t really know them well enough to vote properly I don’t think (I mean obviously I know them, just not that familiar with their records). Remember liking Yellow quite a bit when it came out, although always thought it rips this off pretty blatantly (it’s from 1997 too, so @still_he_persisted’s maths add up)

Struggle to find the energy to really hate them. They definitely have a couple of good tunes and as others have said, Frank Ocean’s cover of Strawberry Swing is easily one of the best songs of last decade. Reckon if you went through all of their records you could put together a decent playlist tbh. (I’m clearly never going to test this theory though.)

They’re obviously going to get dunked on from a dizzy height on here, so I’m going with a 3, despite what I said above, because a lot of the hate they’ll get is going to be a bit unfair