đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Counting Crows

I like the debut album enough to give them a 3. Only really heard “A Long December” (pretty great) and “Big Yellow Taxi” (a stinker) from the rest of their career though.

Lots of great songs on that debut, “Round Here” is tremendous, but I can totally see why they would do nothing for a lot of people. They’re probably one of the least “cool” acts we’ve covered in HGATR.

I had the first album when I was a teenager and rinsed the shit out of it. I’d only heard of it because I downloaded a weird bootleg of Panic At The Disco doing a very meandering cover of Around Here and thought it was really good for some reason. Nobody else I knew had even heard of them so I was convinced they were a super deep cut that only real heads knew about.

Anyway despite having listened to that first album multiple times a day for a few years I literally haven’t heard it since I was 16 and don’t really care to, and have never heard another song by them.

Fucking Hell. 0/5. Utter shite.

This post paid for by PROF$.

4 Likes

The Wallflowers do it better / 5

Like many, I really fucking love A Long December though. Perennial walking around at night in winter while feeling a bit sad playlist banger.

1 Like

Earnest 90s deep-male-voice rock is my least favourite genre of music and they’re no exception but bafflingly did Mr Jones which is inexplicably good. They get a point for that and nothing else.

1 Like

This could get ugly. I had Recovering the Satellites on cd when I was about 15. I remember a sticker on the front saying it was a billboard no 1 album which was weird cos I’m pretty sure I’d never heard of them until that point. I don’t think they were really a concern in the UK until a bit later and you’d hear that one song (Mr Jones) at wedding receptions and stuff.

Anyway, as a self-conscious teenager, I remember being acutely aware, even then, that they definitely weren’t a ‘cool band’. I do wonder what made them especially deserving of that reputation though. Maybe earnest singer songwriter stuff was just very at odds with what was popular at the time in alternative music: heavier, angstier stuff.

I’m pretty indifferent anyway. Pretty sure they got worse as they went on.

Being ‘cool’ is no indicator of whether a band are good or not. Who cares if a band are cool or not, if you think they’re good then listen to them and enjoy yourself. You can’t do that with Counting Crows though, because they’re terrible.

6 Likes

Can’t speak for anyone else but

6 Likes

Can we stick to slagging people off for their awful music please rather than how they look.

1 Like

The musical equivalent of wallpaper paste on toast.

1 Like

I like the first 2 albums

Omaha is my favorite song

I like the fun one from the shrek soundtrack too

1 Like

I’m afraid to say 15 year old me cared quite a bit about ‘being cool’. Unfortunately none of this ‘caring’ translated into ‘being’.

5 Likes

Did hear the first album at the time but can’t recall anything beyond really not liking it tbh.

One of those bands I’d always dismiss as being rubbish but on more than one occasion a song has come on somewhere which I thought was quite decent and it;s been them. Nothing has ever made me want to do a deep dive or anything but they seem fine

remember when jeans were this long?

think of all the piss from pub toilet floors they must get soaked in. Upsetting

24 Likes

I do like how in the picture that that’s clearly a band which doesn’t need 7 members, and they all look like they’ve come from different bands. Your man 3rd on the left must have missed the Rocket for the Crypt audition

1 Like

Used to really like del amitri too

(Deli meat tree)

2 Likes

Didn’t realise this was in the OP. Thought you’d just posted in the wrong thread or something.

1 Like

Wow, I really offended people with that statement, sorry.

I should keep out of these threads.