šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Daft Punk

really good singles band, all their albums are hard work. one of the top 3 live acts Iā€™ve ever seen.

3/5

At one point this would have been an undisputed 5 for me. First two albums are so great, so groundbreaking. The two that followed are so mediocre though.

Best gig Iā€™ve ever, ever been to was Daft Punk at Rockness in 07. Absolutely joyous. Strangers hugging and everyone having the time of their lives.

17 Likes

Theyā€™re a 4.

Influential and brilliant. But a bit weak on their most recent stuff.

The Tron soundtrack is their best album.

1 Like

Sort of really love them ā€“ the music, their look, that documentary on Netflix (originally BBC I think) makes you realise how many bangers theyā€™ve made and how hard they started out.

2 classic albums, couple of duds. Iā€™m giving them 5 even though when you look into it with some very basic research, everything theyā€™ve done is directly lifted from someone elseā€™s song. What they do with the samples is great, but you canā€™t help being disappointed at just how similar the originals are.

1 Like

I think itā€™s pretty telling that the less they build tracks out of other peoples music the worse they got.
Also all their songs are too long and donā€™t change enough. 3 minutes of One More time is great, the whole song is really boring.
Get Lucky became a grinding horror show.
They should get a 1.

However! I managed to see them twice on the Alive 2007 tour and it both times were some of the best shows Iā€™ve seen. DP distilled down to their best. It was glorious. And this was face melting.

So, 2 for the amazing memories.

2 Likes

everyone i know who was at this gig says pretty much this same thing :+1:

3 Likes

That and the Moroder song are great.

Many bands and artists I admire cite them as an influence and theyā€™re on paper exactly the sort of thing Iā€™d really enjoy. Maybe heard One More Time on too many panel show montages, dunno. Feels unfair to mark them down because of that because Iā€™m not sure I get it.

1 Like

Iā€™d forgotten about the Tron soundtrack.

2 Likes

4 for the first two albums, tempted to down vote for the rest but Iā€™ll hold out

1 Like

One of my biggest regrets too - two pals invited me and I honestly have no idea why I turned them down :sob:

2 Likes

Absolutely love Homework and Discovery to a ridiculous degree. Alive 1997 and Alive 2007 are incredible as well.

Human After All is mediocre, the Tron: Legacy OST is boring and Random Access Memories is actively bad. The latter is a bloated mess and I hate it.

Not going to judge them on ā€˜Music Sounds Better With Youā€™, their collaborations, or the RoulĆ© and Crydamoure labels though some of that stuff is PERFECT.

Think it has to be a 4/5. I love them but I hate their most recent work.

1 Like

Watched this recently and it goes so, so hard. Those early gigs sounded incredible.

3 Likes

Canā€™t believe it took over 20 posts.

1 Like

I think if I were to make a playlist with basically all their singles and one or two special album tracks (like the Moroder song) it would be one hell of an album.

1 Like

I know why I didnā€™t see them then. Human After All had been a bit crap and they were playing an Irish festival that had descended into a warzone when I was there the year previously.

I saved my money and went to see Bjƶrk and Sonic Youth that summer instead. Donā€™t regret it to this day.

1 Like

When i first saw the videos they made with the blue animated people like One More Time , I thought they were by Cher

3 Likes

How they didnā€™t headline Glastonbury that year I will never know. Wireless must have paid them mega money.

1 Like

And it rained all fucking weekend at Oxygen, you could hardly dance because of the mud. The place was packed with skangers and felt really edgy.
Still one of the best shows Iā€™ve seen :smiley:

Homework is one of my all-time favourite albums. Just that whole initial period from Da Funk onwards was totally obsessed with them. Saw them DJ at Sankeys Soap on my birthday with lots of pals and it was one of the best nights of my life. Was slightly worried that when the album came out it might not live up to the hype they were getting and the best tracks might have all come out as singles, but it was perfect. Their essential mix came out shortly after the album and we totally rinsed that all year too. They were the main soundtrack to one of the best times of my life, basically.

Never really fell for the rest of their stuff in the same way, but itā€™s not like any of it is bad and there are some incredible peaks. Like lots of others saw them on the 2007 Alive tour and it was amazing, if slightly missing the wide eyed exuberance of their early sets and records. But yeah, still one of the greatest live bands Iā€™ve seen. Easy 5 for all the memories

4 Likes