šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Daft Punk

Was it Z-Machines???

i donā€™t think so, was trying to find a clip to show, but canā€™t remember the name and didnā€™t recognise any.

Floex has a robot drummer.

some great stuff some crap stuff. 3

1 Like

Itā€™s not that Iā€™ve fallen out of love with Daft Punk, but I find I listen to them less and less these days - itā€™s possible itā€™s simply a psychosomatic thing where Iā€™m just waiting for new material after rinsing everything else theyā€™ve released to death - but even then I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the case. Either way, Iā€™ve not seriously listened to DP in a few years.

I am one of the seemingly few fans not to be disappointed by Random Access Memories - I actually thought it was a completely fitting evolution/devolution to their sound. Theyā€™d utterly changed the face of music production with Discovery circa 2000 (their fingerprints were all over electronic music for years after) and it seemed natural theyā€™d go full production nerd eventually, and the lengths to which they went to get the sound right for RAM are extraordinary. And itā€™s an extraordinary album that I think has come out the other side of hype into a genuinely strange underrated territory. Itā€™s bloated - every DP album besides, maybe, Human After All - has been bloated. But thereā€™s absolute brilliance to be found on it. Get Lucky was horrendously overplayed but itā€™s not awful by any metric - and itā€™s totally overshadowed by the far, far greater Williams collab on the album, Lose Yourself To Dance. Doinā€™ It Right is also sublime, one of Panda Bearā€™s finest moments.

The DP album that has surprised me most is Human After All - I loved it at first blush but stopped listening to it pretty quickly after the rush of the new had worn off - it doesnā€™t make a lot of sense and genuinely felt like a backwards step after the glitz of Discovery (though it basically gave us Justice, so no bad thing - ymmv) to go so raw and repetitive and ugly, as if theyā€™d taken the challenge of the album title to heart. And then a couple years later on a live tour now committed to legend, the album made perfect sense - theyā€™d written it so they could make mash-ups of their own songs. Alive 2007 is thrilling, even for someone who couldnā€™t make it to the pyramid themselves.

I probably donā€™t need to say much about Discovery; other posters have more eloquently spoken about its impact above me - but I was writing music reviews for several local and student magazines at the time it was released and no one else got a look in when the CDs were being disseminated for review. Oh, and Voyager is the best thing on it.

Homework, likewise, is amazing. The sound of the new made from regurgitations of the past in an unmistakably ā€˜Frenchā€™ way; hip hop and electro inextricably entwined. Da Funk and Around The World are the first (and only) 12" vinyl I ever bought - I was so obsessed I had to have them in every format. Iā€™ve gone with Around The World as my favourite, but it was a hard choice between the two.

Not spoken of much in this thread, but probably the Daft Punk album Iā€™ve listened to the most overall is the TRON: Legacy soundtrack. Itā€™s perfect; as a soundtrack it is vital to the movie, a huge part of what makes it work (for me at least) as a total audio-visual feast, a feat Joseph Kosinski tried to replicate by using M83 for the Oblivion soundtrack with diminishing returns. Itā€™s just so unlikely - an electronic suite of music utilising an 85 piece orchestra to astonishing effect, yet it never sounds anything less than Daft Punk. The movie literally lives to their beat - Kosinski and Haygood edited it to the music. Itā€™s brilliant, I love it, and itā€™s the Daft Punk I want more of, some day.

Sorry for the ramble, itā€™s been a while since I engaged in a HGATR, this is a tough time of year for me, but Daft Punk are worth dragging myself kicking and screaming to write some actual thoughts down. Iā€™m only Human, and the Robots are a 5.

16 Likes

Sublime.

4 Likes

When my son was 8 we made a video of us covering Verdis Quo. This is the video! (My Son is now 17)

9 Likes

@rev_kramer what are your 2 favourite DP songs please?

Letā€™s have a look then

Daft Punk get a respectable 3.50!

3 Likes

Kasabian please people

1 Like

PLEASE

1 Like

Itā€™ll just be hot takes and roof jokes, a few peolke might ay something interesting but an absolute waste.

1 Like

Takes peolke to know peolke, i guess.

2 Likes

havenā€™t been this excited on Xmas Eve since the Great Santa Lie was exposed

2 Likes

He actually prefers whiskey butter to brandy butter?

1 Like

IIIIIā€™m dreaming
of a Cocteaus Christmas

5 Likes

Gutted :sob:

2 Likes

be great if it was nobody that was on the list (i.e. somebody good)

The quiz has taught me the auld Joke double bluff too well, and Iā€™m now taking this post as absolute confirmation that weā€™re getting Cocteaus tomorrow.

2 Likes