šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ D'Angelo

I think he could genuinely go top.

I like him but sometimes the grooves are too locked in and I just want him to loosen it up a bit:

But then he does and thereā€™s probably nothing better in the world

1 Like

You know how the most classy and fun footballers are the ones who live in the half-spaces? Dā€™Angelo is the musical version of that

12 Likes

Never heard of him

1 Like

Easy 5 - best gig Iā€™ve ever been to. Heā€™s just the complete triple threat - songwriting, singing and stage presence. That gig was 8 years ago and if it was still going on I wouldnā€™t be bored. Can imagine itā€™s similar to how people felt after walking out and seeing Prince and James Brown.

EDIT - absolutely lovely moment at 5mins 25secs where it cuts to Nicki Minaj who just looks devastated sheā€™ll never be anywhere as good as he is

think sheā€™s just enjoying the show

6 Likes

I mean, thatā€™s just definitively the vibe of Voodoo right there. Itā€™s pure grooves. Groovy, yet just a little sloppy, and human rather than mechanical. Delighting in negative space. I think itā€™s part of what makes it such a great record. Might take you a while to get into it, but once your locked into those grooves youā€™ll literally never tire of them. An album that took a while to click for me but then has literally never left rotation. Thereā€™s not many other records I can say that about.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the Jamie Foxx one ā€˜Motherfuckerā€™s too goodā€™

No idea, abstain.

Massively recommend giving Voodoo a spin at least - think youā€™ll absolutely love it

4 Likes

I think I have listened to at least one or both but maybe just once. Yeah will have to get on it.

Think itā€™s his best one. Greatest thing for me about Black Messiah was that it still sounded like a follow up to Voodoo even though it came out 14 years later. Black Messiah is incredible for sure, but he (and all the people he was working with) were on another plane when he did Voodoo.

2 Likes

Someone give me a song of his to listen to as I have no idea who this guy is

1 Like

I need to go to sleep but hopefully Iā€™ll have some time to write a bunch tomorrow.

Quickly thoā€¦ voodoo is my favorite album of all time and itā€™s been that way for 20+ years.

8 Likes

Think Iā€™ve heard a couple of songs, but didnā€™t really like them

Heā€™s really great. A bit of bridge between the more commercial end of neo-soul and the more experimental wave of people like Frank Ocean and Solange. Even his most straightforward stuff is exquisitely crafted and beautifully sung with hints of something more profound about it, but Black Messiah still really stunned with its ambition and scope.

Like a lot of similar artists (including Frank and Solange) I wish he made more music. A very high 4.

3 Likes

Thanks but that is dreadful

Yeah I love him, 5

Try a couple of earlier ones - not sure Black Messiah is the best place to start tbh. Doesnā€™t even begin to tell the whole story, but if you donā€™t them, heā€™s probably not for you

4 Likes

5/5. Never made a record thatā€™s anything less than ā€˜very goodā€™ (I know heā€™s only made 3 but still). Like Tone said above, thereā€™s a certain subtlety to his music thatā€™s kind of understated but impactful, and thatā€™s a very very hard thing to get right.

3 Likes