🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Depeche Mode

A few good songs, but the rest of their output i’ve just never been able to get my head round. I know this wont be popular on here, but a lot of their stuff is a prime example of why the 80’s was one of the worst times for music IMO. The styles that became popular, the production techniques, just generally pretty rubbish. Not saying all 80’s stuff is bad, far from it. But if there was one decades worth of music I could happily live without, it’s probably the 80’s. This has given me an idea, actually…

Not giving them a 1 as I got through Violator and didn’t hate it. But it’s still a low 2.

Brilliant this.

They sound like a shit Kraftwerk but also manage to make Kraftwerk look shit. Nice chemistry in the interview also. They look so young here but really smash it.

Opposite of this is true.

9 Likes

Yea, it’d be the 70’s. 98% shite.

Both shite, music took a good 20 or so year hiatus between the end of the 60s and 91

Thrash and goth alone prove you’re talking guff :stuck_out_tongue:

Now we should take this here.

1 Like

And punk says so are you :wink:

Not sure about that but I’d say the 80’s was the most creative decade and has within it the most profound influence and range I’ve ever known.

Adam & the Ants, Specials, The Police, Slayer, Mudhoney, The Sugarcubes, The Cult, Madonna, Bronski Beat, Black Flag, the Dead Kennedys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Godflesh, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Trio, Orange Juice, The Redskins, Husker Du, Psychedelic Furs, Sisters Of Mercy, Nirvana, Dead Or Alive, Gaye Bykers On Acid, Stetsasonic, Sonic Youth, Loop, Public Enemy, The Jesus & Marcy Chain, De La Soul, New Order, The Sundays, Guns n’ Roses, 808 State, Talking Heads, Yello, Herbie Hancock, Bad Brains, The Primitives, Gary Byrd, The Birthday Party, The Cramps, Erik B & Rakim, The Shop Assistants, Prefab Sprout, Violent Femmes, Adrian Gurvitz, The Colourfield, Man Parrish, Go-Betweens, Crazyhead, R.E.M., Cocteau Twins, Neneh Cherry, Descendents, The Cure, Grace Jones, Big Sound Authority, Joy Division, NWA, Ramones, Stone Roses, Tom Waits, Bomb The Bass, Sade, Cameo, Japan, Metallica, The Fall, Iron Maiden, Pet Shop Boys, Killing Joke, Easterhouse, Transvision Vamp, PiL, the Misfits, Billy Bragg, The Human League, Lords of the New Church, New Model Army, Happy Mondays, Whitehouse,The Triffids, Prince, bauhaus, Spacemen 3, Stump, Echo & the Bunnymen, Pigbag, Age Of Chance, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Big Audio Dynamite, Linton Kwesi Johnson, The Beat, Aztec Camera, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Laurie Anderson, Scritti Politti, The Associates, Discharge, Soft Cell, Trouble Funk, Au Pairs, Bow Wow Wow, The Weather Girls, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Cabaret Voltaire, Coatimundi, The Smiths, Nuclear Assault, Pablo Gad, RUN DMC, Terence Trent D’Arby, Beastie Boys, Heaven 17, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Madness, Hard On’s, Black Uhuru, Kreator, The Exploited, The Pogues, The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu, Yazoo, Wham, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, ABC, The Pixies, Napalm Death, OMD, My Bloody Valentine, Crumbsuckers, Duran Du-fucking-ran…

11 Likes

GIL SCOTT-HERON

6 Likes

Rubbish.

Mid 80’s - Mid 90’s DM were one of the best bands on the planet. I got into them around 1993 when my then girlfriend bought me the CD of Songs of Faith & Devotion. I played it and played it. I then bought the live version. I still prefer the live version of ‘In your room’. After this I listened to the entire back catalogue and they become one of my all time favourite bands. Latterly I think the quality has declined but for a period they were pretty untouchable. 5

3 Likes

:wink:

Claiming a few of these peaked in the 80s is a bit of a stretch :wink:

The Sundays debut came out in 1990!

Never listened to them, should probably fix that considering how much I love this cover of Never Let Me Down Again.

Nit-Picking!

1 Like

Not sure if I claimed this. I think they all made an impact on the 80’s and in most cases the their main work or impact is associated with that decade, Nirvana aside, (and The Sundays).

There’s a few more but ok :relaxed:

I want NAMES (bands)!

Mate I can picking through what are obviously a load of bands who were at their peak in the late 70s and early 90s here :smiley:

1 Like