šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Drake

not a fan, generally speaking. tried a bunch of times with so far gone/thank me later/take care and none of them really do anything for me apart from the odd track. found the acclaim that take care in particular got genuinely baffling, itā€™s a competently executed but ultimately quite boring rap album so idk why it blew up the way it did. quite like him when heā€™s in swagger mode though (i.e. 5am in toronto), which is why ā€˜if youā€™re reading thisā€™ is the only thing of his iā€™d consider listening to.

also quite like him when he pops up on ygā€™s stuff. something about the production yg favours really suits drake i think, he should do more stuff like it himself.

that first one he just totally bites playaz club but who cares, he sounds great on it.

2/5

100% this but thankfully it doesnā€™t ruin it. Probably the best song of the last few years dont @ me.

1 Like

17 Likes

iā€™d say thatā€™s true of most of his features. never ruins the track but rarely adds much to it either (other than name value i guess)

1 Like

Was never into the Take Care hype, Nothing Was the Same has some amazing moments, If Youā€™re Reading This pretty much doesnā€™t have a bad track

Best thing he ever did was this pairing (need to listen to the two other AM/PM entries he did)

Best album track by a long way, love the beat change and the Nicki reference

Absolutely rinsed this and In My Feelings when they came out, just think theyā€™re pretty much perfect bouncy melodic pop rap

Very solid 3/5

5 Likes

Really good pop star with lots of good songs and lots of good features. Easily grasped lyrics and then just piles upon piles of hooks. Not that interested in his albums but heā€™s a popstar, albums donā€™t really matter.

Nice For What is a perfect pop song, and itā€™s a lot more than just a (very well executed) Lauryn Hill sample. I think there are 8 actual hooks in this song??

Passionfruit is such a silky 2am slow dance banger :

3 Likes

One of those that I really just donā€™t get, he always sounds bored

2 Likes

BTW if we ever to do a HGATR for Pusha T itā€™s a 5. Especially for the time that he absolutely demolished Drake:

YOU. ARE. HIDING. A. CHILD.

14 Likes

Donā€™t really know enough of his stuff to vote but Passionfruit is a legitimately excellent song.

1 Like

This was genuinely thrilling to hear when it first dropped

3 Likes

You know itā€™s serious when he says ā€˜drug dealing asideā€™

5 Likes

Feels like heā€™s been pretty influential. The whole of Radio1 sounds like him these days. Not sure if he can be credited with that though (did he appear before that Weeknd House of Balloons tape?), but that particular kind of luxuriant smooth rā€™nā€™b sound telling tales of hedonism sans any anger or aggression seems to be everywhere.

Idk maybe a 2

Couldnā€™t hum you a single note heā€™s written aside from ā€œHotline blingā€¦ hotline blingā€. Still, a one.

Main think I know about him is he apparently appears at various sporting events claiming to support a whole bunch of different teams, the man cannot be trusted.

1 Like

Might have to up him to a 2 Passionfruits good and KMT off More Life

Funny in nearly all his songs he is the least good bit on them HYFR as well is alright

Despite knowing next to nothing about basketball or Drake I was still aware enough of his ubiquity on the Raptors sideline during their Championship season to be annoyed by it.

1 Like

Well of course he was there for their winning year

Undeniably capable of making great pop songs. Think heā€™s been so successful by essentially being a pop star dressed up as a rapper - the first time his brand was in any danger was when he foolishly let himself be baited by an actual rapper (pusha). Each album is about 50 songs long for that sweet streaming cash, but youā€™re guaranteed 2-3 bangers per album. Also undeniably influential - all of pop sounds like him now and you frequently hear people trying to do his thing. Content wise heā€™s laughable, bad punchlines, misplaced woe is me bullshit, an absolute clanger of a line on every other song.

But for the most part blandly enjoyable.

Rough week. Daniel Ekā€™s wet dream - the walking definition of ā€œcontentā€. Absolutely unfathomable.

1 Like

Kanye West - 808ā€™s and Heartbreaks pioneered that sound. I think Drake actually rapped over one of the tracks from it which led to him getting signed.

Makes the worst kind of rap, creepy as fuck with underage girls, worked with Chris Brown. Would be 0 if it were possible.

3 Likes