šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Duran Duran

Oh yeah sorry!

1 Like

I know you didā€¦

Hate em. The embodiment of 80s stuff that I viscerally cannot get on with - 1/5

3 Likes

Pretty sure Bowie was the first one of these. Think people were voting more just on the music at that point. As these have gone on I think questions about the artistā€™s conduct etc have been way more of a factor in peopleā€™s voting. Canā€™t say for sure, but I doubt Bowie would score as highly if the thread was run today

4 Likes

Well yeah, I just told you

1 Like

Some good singles but that 80s excess also kind of make me feel a bit physically sick.

So 2/5.

1 Like

The wobbly synth line on Save A Prayer is worth at least a 4 all by itself.

3 Likes

Oh sorry, I wasnā€™t clear. I was watching you.

I donā€™t blame you!

1 Like

Not yetā€¦

2 Likes

Deary me.

If it was based purely on music (which I tend to), Iā€™d give Bowie a 5 and Morrissey aā€¦2? The Smiths were alright but not my cup of tea, and his solo stuff doesnā€™t appeal to me at all.

So it might just come down to that, as well as the fact that Morrissey is now horrendous.

Duran Duran were a brilliant band. So many good songs. 5.

1 Like

Not as good as Itā€™s Your Letters

2 Likes

Things I will not be clicking onā€¦

The Reef covers are actually OK, once they hit the chorus.

The punk rock version is not OK, especially when they hit the chorus.

From what I remember Bowie was one of the first of these and there wasnā€™t really a debate on how we should judge things outside of music until the end of the thread/after. I donā€™t think heā€™d score as highly now (although Miles Davis didā€¦)

Oh never mind Radbitt said this already.

2 Likes

Yeah Bowie was the first thread. I know you pointed out the problems with him at the time (Iā€™d never heard of them before that thread) but it didnā€™t come up as much as in subsequent threads. I think the art/artist thing has evolved a bit since then and obviously weā€™ve debated it countless times and I think everyone that votes in these threads regularly has settled into a system or criteria that theyā€™re comfortable with using to judge everyone with.
I think thereā€™s a bit of a recency thing too, Bowie, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye etc, their behaviour is something weā€™ve read about in recollections of a past none of us were around for, whereas Morrissey etc is something weā€™ve experienced in real time. Mark E Smith was an interesting one actually, with a few Fall fans getting quite defensive in a way that hadnā€™t come up since the very early HGATR days.
Not sure where Iā€™m going with this and itā€™s not all relevant as a reply to Jordan but thatā€™s my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Now for completeness we just need Duran Duran covering Place Your Hands

2 Likes