🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Elbow

Doves 4/5 for The Cedar Room alone. What a song.

7 Likes

The penny has dropped - please excuse my ignorance on this… I completely missed the correction.

4 Likes

Scattered Black & Whites is such a gorgeous song and evokes many memories for me, the first 3 albums are great but began to lose interest a bit after that.

4 Likes

They’re on the list.

2 Likes

No harm done.

2 Likes

While we’re all here:

Thank god, I was about to write this entire thread off as people being boring about a ‘boring’ band.

Really beautiful songs and tunes. Hugely underrated band, even after they finally found fame through that one track.

5/5

Mutes thread.

5 Likes

they have an annoying habit of ending albums on the wrong songs too, both Grace Under Pressure and Great Expectations are perfect album closers which are followed by totally unecessary songs

2 Likes

Absolute state of the TERF cunt in Elbow’s profile picture on Twitter, the worst hoody I have ever seen

7 Likes

I think I’d rather listen to Stone Roses and Ian Browns’ conspiracy theories

1 Like

Oh fuck. I wasn’t looking forward to this one.

I’m going to write a big old emotional post when I’ve got the time and then I’m muting the fuck out of this.

5 Likes

I actually like TSSK but the rest don’t do a whole lot for me. Went to see them live as a friend had a spare ticket, not great.
I do like guy garvey. 2

I don’t really understand why people on here declare things as “don’t exist” but I feel like I might want to apply it to Elbow.

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard about this before now either!

1 Like

They had a beer on tap in the Weatherspoons on Oxford Road when I was like 18/19 and my mate would always order it and make a big point of saying “I don’t know why they didn’t call it Alebow!” every fucking time and it’s a 1 from me for that shit.

4 Likes

never got into them, always meant to check out the first couple of albums properly to see if i’m missing anything or if they are just a little bit boring for me

Grounds for Divorce is a good tune of course but got fairly overplayed after a while. bought my mum The Seldom Seen Kid when it was big but can’t remember any of it aside from the singles. should listen to that again too

used to see them on TV festival coverage in the early 00s and Grace Under Pressure always seemed to be the big epic closing song, funny that nobody seems to care about that one anymore (it’s the only early song i remember)

Can’t remember the last time I actually listened to them, but used to like the first four albums quite a lot. Even when I liked them there was a lot of misses and songs I could skip tbh, but when they hit they really hit.

This is a really nice song, encapsulates that joyous feeling of heading home after a while away. His lyrics are easy to mock, but he’s really good sometimes:

Quite liked the way their rise mirrored The National, slightly older guys who got steadily bigger through releasing consistently good music while never having a breakout hit (before One Day Like This ruined that theory)

4 Likes

I always liked this one:

6 Likes

I’ve only heard the one or two tracks that are really well known but they’re so boring.

Isn’t he on 6 music too? Smug middle class radio station wanker