🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Elton John

Are…are we back? We’re back! Good morning people, it’s time to get this old thing back up and running!

Firstly, a reminder of how things currently stand

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Beatles 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Jay-Z 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

And now on to today’s subject. Who is Elton John!

Elton, then?

0 voters

Best single (from the Diamonds compilation)

• Your Song
  • Tiny Dancer
  • Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long Long Time)
  • Honky Cat
  • Crocodile Rock
  • Daniel
  • Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)
  • Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  • Candle In The Wind
  • Bennie And The Jets
  • The Bitch Is Back
  • Philadelphia Freedom
  • Island Girl
  • Someone Saved My Life Tonight
  • Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
  • Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
  • Little Jeannie
  • Song For Guy
  • Blue Eyes
  • I’m Still Standing
  • I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues
  • Sad Songs (Say So Much)
  • Nikita
  • I Don’t Wanna Go On With You Like That
  • Sacrifice
  • Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me
  • Something About The Way You Look Tonight
  • I Want Love
  • Can You Feel The Love Tonight
  • Are You Ready For Love?
  • Electricity
  • Home Again
  • Looking Up
  • Circle Of Life

0 voters

It’s a 5 from me. There’s a fair bit of dross in there through the years, but anyone with a career that long is never going to be perfect. Some absolute all-time classic bangers, and I’m a really big fan of his voice. Voted for Sacrifice, but I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues and Rocketman are equally as good.

2 Likes

I know objectively he’s at least a 4, but hardly any of his songs really click with me. Gotta be a 3.

6 Likes
  1. Released a shitload of guff so cant be a 5.
2 Likes

Genuinely can’t decide whether he’s a

• GBOL
  • Bit of a prick

0 voters

why not both

10 Likes

A rare example of someone that I think is absolutely brilliant but have zero desire to ever listen to. Voted 4.

3 Likes
  • GBOL
  • Bit of a prick

0 voters

1 Like

5 from me - another one of those artists where there is some dross but there is so much unbelievably good stuff that I can’t give anything but a 5.

I never really got into him when I was younger - took a while to get into him but didn’t look back after that.

Always thought he was the definition of naff when I was growing up, couldn’t understand why anyone would listen to him and was really embarrassed that my Mum did.

^ What a chump that guy was, eh? Could rival pretty much anyone with the singles, and there’s a couple of genuinely great albums in there too. Was toying with 4, but fuck it he can have a 5 (partly cos Rocketman’s one of the films of the year/made me appreciate him more)

4 Likes

This has done me for some reason.

4 Likes

Obvious 5, the run of albums from Madman Across the Water (his best album by miles) to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is just ridiculous. Has released some utter stinkers but the good stuff really is that good.

I really enjoyed Rocketman despite it being rubbish by every reasonable measure.

A career that long will have some guff, but there are so many brilliant songs and albums that he can’t be less than a 5.

Also a brilliant singer/songwriter/pianist. If you’ve ever tried to play and sing his stuff you’ll realise how effortless he makes it look.

1 Like

Fucking love Elton. Absolute hero.

There’s lots to like about Elton. His work for AIDS charities, paying all his taxes, not using dubious schemes to minimise taxes and looking after his band (still with the same guys who he recorded and toured with since the 70s).

Great Bunch of Elton.

8 Likes

^This. Really enjoyed that film, and made me realise just how many bangers he has written with Bernie T

Didn’t know he didn’t write his own songs. It’s good that he didn’t so that there’s a bit of ammunition for when old bores go on about “doesn’t even write his/her own songs” about modern pop stars

2 Likes

FWIW, I think that he mostly falls foul of my “heard a song upwards of 50 times without ever choosing to put it on therefore I dislike it” rule but with a couple of exceptions.

Rocketman was 2.5/5 for me which is exceptional given I fucking hate musicals and am largely indifferent to Elton John.

Feel like he’s a 4. Some great singles but he’s not really my top guy.

@anon5266188 he writes at least half of his songs!