šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Foals

I wouldnā€™t have really had much of an opinion until recently, but any fondness for the first singles have gone out the window since I started going to a personal trainer who insists on playing Foals (or Royal Blood) at me in the sessions.

Itā€™s objectively serviceable stadium indie riffage, but personally I hate this kind of stuff more than I have any need to.

First band I ever saw live, albeit supporting Bloc Party.

I blow hot and cold on them. Like TLF, and Inhaler, but everything since is a bit bland

Iā€™ve ruined many an album by having it on my running playlist so I get this

Quite like the 2nd album. No time for much else.

Remember the build up to the debut when everyone kept describing them as math-rock. Amusing times

1 Like

I go on holiday and Ivor picks a band I love. Iā€™m sure he does it on purpose. :frowning::grinning:

Hated the first album when it came out, didnā€™t understand what people saw in it. We were at Field Day and decided to check them out and they were fantastic.

Was at the electric picnic a few years later and Modest Mouse weā€™re being terrible so we left and caught the end of Foals set and again they were stunning. The energy was electric and the place was going nuts. So I bought the second album and loved it.

From then on I was a fan. They havenā€™t put out a bad album and some how the double album is good. How is that possible in the day and age?

Oh, can we get a ban on any who says Yannis looks like a menā€™s rights advocate? Itā€™s a really boring meme on here.

Anyway. 5 from me.

6 Likes

I knew them quite well through the Ed Fitz and early Foals. I think they used to make interesting music early on even in Foals time but a lot of the more recent stuff is U2 stadium bombast and I canā€™t get along with it really. They talk a good game - I think when I read about them or hear them talk it always sounds far more interesting than it ends up actually sounding. Undoubtedly a thrilling and incendiary live band though.

However I will have to give -10 because Yannisā€™ vocals and lyrics are cringe-inducingly awful. Sub-6th-form-poetry trash.

Not really. 2.

Saw them live once; enjoyed it but felt absolutely no inclination to investigate further. Still donā€™t. Abstain.

1 Like

Hmmm. Theyā€™re honestly a very good live band (once saw them supported by Everything Everything which was a great 1-2), but they also have a lot of boring stuff in their discography, especially What Went Down onwards. Good at grooves and sonics but not that good at writing a tune - the singer especially seems to go to the same melody well over and over again.

I do remember being blown away by Spanish Sahara and Inhaler, mind you - those were the halcyon days - both because theyā€™re absolutely class tunes and also big wtfs from the previous album.

Also there was a guy in school who got massively into their first record, and would play the shoutier, more abrasive stuff all the way through our evening art classes, drove our teacher right up the wall. Good times.

1 Like

2 for me, lile Hummer and first record is ok.

Was suprised at Ed Oā€™Brien or someone saying how much he liked them recently on a podcast

Never heard of Edmund Fitzgerald, please dont take my indie points off me

Was really into them before the first album came out. Saw them play a few great gigs around that time and even after the release of the first album. Not sure if they were singles or EPs or whatever because this was back in the days when you could download anything off Mediafire and the like but and I thought the album tracks lacked a bit of the edge that the earlier stuff had. I liked the dancier elements and a lot of that seemed less pronounced so I was a bit disappointed and lost interest.

Remember not really being grabbed by Spanish Sahara when that was released ahead of the album. I liked what they were going for but it wasnā€™t quite hitting the mark for me so I donā€™t even think I bothered with the album.

Saw them playing something on Jools Holland a few years ago and it wasnā€™t enough to pull me back in.

Not a bad band by any means. 3.

2 Likes

Remember enjoying their first album. But never bothered with anything else. Heard a few tracks off their last one and didnā€™t do anything for me.

Probably a 2

1 Like

Something about this particular generation of filler indie guitar bands just doesnā€™t sound good to me at all, whereas I could find something to enjoy in most of the equivalents in the 90s. Tried listening to Total Life Forever this morning but I only got six tracks in having skipped before the end of each one because my skin was crawling a bit. Right down there with the worst output from the lowest 1s in the whole HGATR list for me. Nothing personal, Iā€™m sure they and their fans are good people, but Iā€™m not up for listening to anything else by them after that.

1 Like

Dunno what to mark them. I was obsessed aged 14/15, then when I last saw them at Royal Albert Hall I had such a bad time Iā€™ve barely listened to them since.

Was obsessed with hummer when that came out. The hype ahead of the debut coming out was massive and quite exciting - I remember there were a lot of tedious debates about whether them playing facing each other was disrespectful to the audience.

Really liked bits of the first one, but it felt like a bit of an anti climax given how exciting the early singles were. Didnā€™t really bother with the second as it sounded too polished and like theyā€™d removed what I liked about them in the first place, but weirdly I got really into the third one. Tried listening to what theyā€™ve done since, but itā€™s all washed over me.

Probably a 3

Find them really hit and miss. When they hit I think theyā€™re huge (Inhaler!) Think the first two albums are pretty great throughout but after that there seemed to be a lot of filler in between the smashers for me.

Only time Iā€™ve seen them was touring the first album. Barras with Foals, Holy Fuck and Dananananaykroyd, some fucking buzz that was. Would definitely go see them on a festival bill but every time theyā€™ve toured Iā€™ve never really been bothered to get tickets.

Really fond of Bad Habit and the end of this:

1 Like

The sound was terrible at the afternoon show off that gig.

I really donā€™t get my number though, pure land fill indie song but itā€™s massive. Like hundreds of millions of plays. Madness. Inhaler is a much better song from that album.

Weird, I really like my number and canā€™t stand inhaler.

Used to like them a lot more than I do now, donā€™t like most of their slow songs but still enjoy them when they shift at a clip. Thereā€™s something a bit empty about Foals, they donā€™t make much of an emotional connection with me and I donā€™t like the lyrics. A 3 though and I quite fancy listening to TLF.

Hated the first album, enjoyed the second a lot, thought the third was rubbish, havenā€™t listened to anything since. Canā€™t put my finger on it but thereā€™s something very unlikeable about their public persona as expressed in interviews etc. Which is fine, theyā€™re under no obligation to be my mates, but it makes me much less likely to put in the effort to try to like them than I did with, say, BSP. Maybe my loss, but itā€™s not like thereā€™s a shortage of other average indie rock bands to listen to.

classic 3/5 choice for me. Like the first album a good amount (might stick it on again now tbh), a few great b-sides, never really got into TLF like everyone else seemed to do (Spanish Sahara is pretty perfect though) and then just totally stopped paying attention. Main association with Foals is that I bought one of their tees without ever having seen them live, which felt like some sort of indie sin at the time :smiley:

Definitely like this version more than the album one, think itā€™s actually gorgeous

And loved this Jools performance