šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Frank Ocean

Easiest 5 ever tbh

Hasnā€™t quite clicked - love the bits I love but I just donā€™t quite get the enthusiasm for Blonde. Going to a funeral today donuts probably not the best time to take it for another spin.

Pyramids might be my favourite bit of Rā€™nā€™B from the lastā€¦ forever really. Only Ex-factor by Lauryn Hill.comes close.

1 Like
  • ā€œRIP Trayvon, that n- looked just like meā€, followed by that amazing cracked falsetto
  • Those screams at the end of Ivy
  • Everything about Solo
  • The wobbly synth halfway through Skyline To
  • The solo in Self Control, into that actually heavenly outro. Tear up most times I hear it tbh
  • The Nights beat drop is executed perfectly
  • FUCKING ANDRE 3000. My favourite guest appearance of all time
  • Pretty Sweet dropping in that drum n bass groove
  • I wish Futura Free would just keep running and running, so gorgeous
  • ā€œRemember when I had that Lexus, no, our friendship donā€™t go back that far. Tyler slept on my sofa yeah, n- go back that farā€
11 Likes

Self Control. Wow. That outro is in my head every day.

4 Likes

One last thing, the outro to Futura Free I always found a bit devastating. Given recent events I canā€™t listen to it now. Utterly heartbreaking.

1 Like

Also Alex G wrote/played some stuff for Blonde, so it gets extra bonus points for that alone

Yes. Yes it does.
And interpolating Here, There & Everywhere, which I adore.

3 for me.

Clearly has something that resonates with many people with tastes similar to my own, and I do see craft and quality in his work, but having spent a good amount of time with both studio albums I just canā€™t help finding myself a bit bored through much of both albums, with too few fleeting moments where it gels.

Hoping that at some point I click with whatever it is that works so well for so many - will be checking out his next albums at least.

1 Like

And @JaguarPirate itā€™s probably my favourite song of this century.

1 Like

youā€™re a brilliant poster and this is pretty much exactly how I feel about Frank. Nice one.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going for a 5 because, when Blonde finally landed for me, it landed to Top-10 of all time status.

I liked Nostalgia Ultra and Channel Orange to a 3.5/5 level and for a long time Blonde left me completely cold but fucking hell itā€™s an amazing record once it clicks.

3 Likes

Moments is the thing here eh. Struggled to vote in the ā€œBest Singleā€ poll because his highlights are in the moments. Think thatā€™s why it took so long for Blonde to click with me, itā€™s very much an album to digest as a whole and fall in love with the fleeting few seconds here and there rather than ā€œoh I canā€™t wait for [FAVE TRACK] to come up soon!ā€

1 Like

I have enough favourites that I listen to aline regularly that I donā€™t quite agree, but also I do listen to the album in full more than almost anything else in t he last few years. So overall yeah, itā€™s a wash of moments and variety, punctuated with a few Hits

Blonde is, for me, the finest album of the 21st century, the album means so much to me.

Channel Orange and Nostalgia Ultra, along with most of the stand alone tracks heā€™s put out are solid 5s.

Will go down in history I hope as one of the greatest modern artists

1 Like

Havenā€™t actually listened properly to his stuff. Gonna feel like a right chump if I donā€™t like it :smiley:

Maybe give pink and white a bash? Might be creeping up to winter but thereā€™s enough sun in the sky today to pretend otherwiseā€¦

4.999. Agree that the albums do meander at times, but the highs are so good that you forgive him.
I got into him late, once both albums had already been released, I think it was Pyramids that first clicked with me, but Super Rich Kids and Swim Good are also superb songs. I credit him and Solange for moving my listening habits away from ā€˜indie-rockā€™, and in a more soulful direction.
Now, anyone got any of his vinyl at a reasonable price?

1 Like

Amazing how the opening seconds of Nikes still stops me in my tracks.

3 Likes

Wanna mention that White Ferrari gets me every goddamn time

7 Likes

Just about a 4 for me. Obviously heā€™s done a bunch of stuff as well as his two excellent albums, but across everything I think I kinda admire/respect his output rather than outright love it. Great artist though and Iā€™ll always be interested to hear his stuff.