šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Frank Sinatra

7 Likes
  1. I adore him. The only crooner Iā€™ll bother with.

In the Wee Small Hours is a perfect album, Where Are You? Sings for Only the Lonely and No One Cares arenā€™t far behind. Love a lot of his later big band stuff but the dude just got melancholy.

I will never get bored of Summer Wind, maybe a shout for my funeral song. GORGEOUS. The instrumentation on It Was a Very Good Year chefā€™s kiss. The intro on Luck Be a Lady. Bloody love him. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5.

10 Likes

& tom waits ballads. was also a big influence on marvin gaye apparently

7 Likes

Toyed with not voting as Iā€™ve never deliberately listened to him, but then he is one of those artists that you have heard a lot by osmosis.

Heā€™s never done anything for me - I nearly always hear something slightly cold and insincere in his voice (there are exceptions- I love his version of It Was a Very Good Year for instance, which suits his voice well). He never touches me emotionally the way, say, Billie Holliday or Ella Fitzgerald would do and even out and out crooners like Bing Crosby or Mel Torme have much better, richer voices.

Thereā€™s obviously something there that is attractive to people it it completely passes me by most of the time.

Iā€™ve gone for 3 trying to give some weight to the ā€˜objectiveā€™

didnā€™t even know he sang new york new york. deducting a point for that, and then adding one again

1 Like
9 Likes

Big civil rights activist too.

Gave him a 5, though I do prefer Martin Princeā€™s rendition of Summer Wind.

5 Likes

can we all take a second to listen to this majesty pls

3 Likes

Le Summer Windoi

1 Like

fucks sake

1 Like

It has to be a 5 doesnā€™t it.
That voice is velvet, no one else can do that and the decades of shit club singers ruining his songs canā€™t tarnish his legacy, though they really try.
I can see why people donā€™t like. Him but I feel heā€™s in for a very underserved kicking here.

I rarely listen to him but when I do itā€™s always a treat.

5 Likes

Ahhhhhh frankie Sinatra ooooo Frank Sinatra

Abstain/10

Dunnoā€¦ 2? I donā€™t like his music and he was an absolute prick. Iā€™d probably change the station if he came on the radio. No idea why Iā€™m not giving him a 1ā€¦ probably the ā€˜classic artistā€™ thing making me feel guilty.

Makes nice background music for dinner but donā€™t get much beyond that. The type of cool i could never get on with.

Think he was a total arsehole as well. Well, not total, but he had a bit a temper at least.

Dunno how to score him, heart says a low score but then i donā€™t think i have enough interest to bring him down

1 Like

Feel like after so much talk has been made about negative aspects of artists lives in previous threads some mention should be made of his outspoken (at the time) anti-racist views.

Not a fan of his music but obviously good at what he did.

5 Likes

This isnā€™t entirely true. He had a history of violent confrontation with critics etc and obviously the FBI stuff but was a fierce supporter of black and Italian american rights (wouldnā€™t play Sands Hotel for example until they started hiring black employees) and was seen as a bit of a communist in his early days.

5 Likes

think my fav thing about these threads is when an artist reflexively gets a kicking and then people start to passionately defend them

8 Likes

Think he enjoyed being seen with mobsters and being around the lifestyle rather than actively participating.

Not a fan would have liked Rick Rubin to have got hold of him like he did with Johnny Cash that might have been interesting. Abstain out of 5 for me.