🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Girls Aloud

Morning! Time for another one of these things I reckon.

Here’s the order after a high score for The Cure

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
David Bowie 4.31
The Cure 4.28
Stevie Wonder 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Joni Mitchell 3.89
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Britney Spears 2.85

So next let’s talk about pop music (everyone is). Specifically, Girls Aloud.

So then

0 voters

Album

• Sound Of The Underground
  • What Will The Neighbours Say?
  • Chemistry
  • Tangled Up
  • Out Of Control

0 voters

Single

• Sound Of The Underground
  • No Good Advice
  • Life Got Cold
  • Jump
  • The Show
  • Love Machine
  • I’ll Stand By You
  • Wake Me Up
  • Long Hot Summer
  • Biology
  • See The Day
  • Whole Lotta History
  • Something Kinda Ooooh!
  • I Think We’re Alone Now
  • Walk This Way
  • Sexy! No No No…
  • Call The Shots
  • Can’t Speak French
  • The Promise
  • The Loving Kind
  • Untouchable
  • Something New

0 voters

Never got it TBH. Tried listening to their Best Of but…dunno, I think that whole Xenomania thing is very much not for me. Biology sounds like three songs stuffed together with all the elegance of a Jive Bunny megamix.

6 Likes

1/5 for that nightclub incident

11 Likes

Maybe the most boring of the pop groups? Like at least B*Witched has the riverdance bit

Grew up listening to the radio through their prime, have probably heard all of those singles, could only hum you half of one or two on them

People on here used to say their songs were amazing for some reason

6 Likes

Fantastic group. Got this singles box which outstrips what any of their peers could manage:

Biology, Call the Shots, Sound of the Underground and No Good Advice are all from the very top drawer of '00s pop music.

3 Likes

Little Mix > Girls Aloud.

Giving Girls Aloud a 3, in line with the 4 I gave Britney. Some decent singles, can’t imagine buying an album of theirs, enjoyable without being iconic.

2 Likes

They’ve a handful of great singles I think. Their ballads are really formulaic and pretty dull but the upbeat, fun stuff, Love Machine, Biology, SOTU etc is really quite good. 2.5 rounded up to a 3.

1 Like

THE NICOLA ROBERTS SOLO ALBUM IS ACTUALLY GOOD

11 Likes

DANCE TO THE BEAT OF MY DRUM!

1 Like

SO IS NADINE’S

haven’t listened to them much because at the time they appeared/were popular, I felt that I, as a boy, was not aloud (allowed)

Not a fan

Absolutely fucking brilliant, some of the best pop songs of the century. Easy 5.

2 Likes

They seem to have been completely forgotten, is that famous one still famous?

Love them.

The reason I prefer Sugababes is that the GA ballads never did anything for me. Sugababes slower stuff is magical (Stronger, Shape, Caught in Moment, I could go on) but GA… nah. Can’t think of a single ballad that works for me. (Whilst I’m talking about Sugababes, can I state for the record that the GA vs Sugababes Walk this Way single is the biggest missed opportunity in the history of pop)

Having said that, the bangers are Bangers with a capital B. Sound of the Underground, Biology (which, @1101010, actually IS three songs stitched together), The Promise, Call the Shots, No Good Advice, etc etc… all smashes. Would never get sick of hearing them.

5 Likes

Personal favourite is The Promise, sometimes challenged by Call The Shots or Biology. I love how Biology has about 5 pre choruses.

1 Like

Oh and…

Nicola > Kim > Nadine > Sarah > Cheryl