🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Saw them once in Dublin and they were good but went for ages, especially the intro drone, and the venue was really packed and roasting so it was a struggle by the end. Would go seated next time.

They mostly played newer stuff but I didn’t mind that

2 Likes

Really wish I’d been old enough to have seen them back when they played the Empire a few times.
A lad in work was at the 2000 show with Sigur Ros and Fly Pan Am. Jammy git!

1 Like

awesome!
I saw them in 2002 with DMST supporting which was amazing.

2 Likes

I feel like they should be a lot more talked about and listened to (including by myself!)

7 Likes

Solid gold 5. When the highs are as high as these you can conveniently forget the mulch.

The first three records are the absolute peak and peerless. So lucky to have seen them at the Cockpit in Leeds in 2000 with Sigur Ros. Mind blowing. Then probably the following year in Manchester previewing the Skinny Fists material, which was probably better.

I didn’t get on with the overly droney Yanqui and the comeback albums have been patchy with the occasional highlight, until God’s Pee, which I liked a lot.

I feel like seeing them live now would be a let down, so have avoided it. I will just let their purple patch feed my nostalgia for when there was no-one to touch them and no tired knockoffs riding on their coattails.

All hail.

2 Likes

Saw them in Vancouver in 2011, was my first proper trip overseas and I was buzzing. Sunk into the back of my seat for a full hour.

If they’d played Moya I might have actually died.

4 Likes

Holy shit, I’m jealous of that! I’d moved to Leeds about the year before and was going to The Cockpit a lot, unfortunately that was two or three years before I would hear a note of Godspeed. I’d not heard of Sigur Ros then either so I would probably have seen the gig advertised and thought, “odd names” and moved on.

1 Like

…and at Number 1

2 Likes

Man, yeah, that ATP…
Settled on a 4. Think Lift Yr Skinny Fists is their peak and probably one of the most important records of the time. Also Constellation as whole is just a fantastic inspirational label.

5 Likes

Really enjoyed Weird Al that weekend

3 Likes

yeah, the segway entrance!

2 Likes

I moved to Leeds in 1993 from London (and moved back to London in 2009) and there were some great small venues through the 90s and early 00s. The Cockpit was one of the best, such a shame it closed down. Remember some great nights at Sparklehorse, Tortoise, Mono, Mew and many others I can’t recall at this second.

1 Like

Ok I’m gonna try again

Always found them really boring

3 Likes

I miss the Cockpit, attended many gigs and indie/alternative club nights there, but luckily we still have the best small venue in the world, The Brudenell :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A lot of very optimistic chat about them possibly troubling Aretha at the top of the leaderboard upthread but I really can’t see it myself.

When the leader board is determined by rankings like this then it’s almost irrelevant how many people love you, it’s how many people hate you and can be bothered to enter your thread to vote you down that is the key discriminator. And, as we’ve already seen, a lot of people hate Godspeed. Which is entirely fair enough, we can’t all like the same things.

I think they’ll be doing very well if they break the 4 barrier myself, reckon high 3.8s.

Not, of course, that it matters.

4 Likes

a band i have dipped into briefly over the years without spending and proper time with. will spend some time with them this weekend.

1 Like

fuckin state of that :grinning:

7 Likes

I like how you chose not to edit that but instead point it out

3 Likes

After this new Remi Wolf album tho cos it’s really fun

F# A# ∞ absolutely blew my mind when it came out. I don’t think I’d heard anything like it. And Skinny Fists was similarly superb. I played New Zero Kanada on repeat though, mainly for BBF3, which is their masterpiece for me.

Everything after that has been diminishing returns for me though. For some reason I just don’t really click with them anymore. A 4 from me for how much they shifted my musical orbit as a young music lover.

1 Like