đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” Godspeed You! Black Emperor

As someone that only listened to them anew last year, the post-hiatus material has no real disconnect from the pre-hiatus material in all honesty, I still think Raise is their best album but it is mighty, mighty close. As these gigs have proved.

1 Like

Didn’t play much old stuff when I saw them a few years back but Asunder Sweet and Other Distress is probably my favourite and they played that in its entirety, along with Mladic, so I was happy with that.

1 Like

Whatever they play, in a live capacity, it is going to be good, well, better than good.

Aye, they’ve still got it. Enjoyed that very much.

3 Likes

Nice to see you too. Brilliant set list and as you say the crowd was really good too.

1 Like
6 Likes

Would’ve definitely gone for that set list

I’ve probably seen them 30-40 times over the last the last 24 years

This was probably the best time
. Absolutely sublime from start to finish

6 Likes

Was nice to walk down Oxford road and see the first place they ever played in the Uk

2 Likes

Think this inspired the Yanqui UXO label map artwork?

2 Likes

Definitely a strong resemblance - that style may have influenced there “Faulty Schematic” artwork for F#A#∞ as well:

Yeah right, “Don”

2 Likes

Saw them at one of the recent Electric Ballroom shows and BBF3 with the projector footage in particular was class. Has there ever been any talk of them releasing an official live album? I’ve heard a couple of bits from the Internet Archive recordings too - does anyone have any personal favourites from there?

“She dreamt she was a bulldozer” (aka John Hughes) from the Palais Royale in 2001

Best version of their best track

3 Likes

So good - thanks very much. Might cobble together a live album with my chosen setlist from the archives

3 Likes

This is SO much better than the recorded version.

That link doesn’t seem to work

2 Likes

Bit of a shame this became the default Godspeed thread instead of the other one, but ah well

Treated myself to Skinny Fists today in recompense for missing the tour. Damn this is good, the end to Sleep especially is absolutely stunning - had only heard this for the first time in lockdown and that was just through a little Bluetooth speaker. Really love the ebbs and flows when I’ve grown to expect more pure volume and crescendo from post rock bands over the years

Think I might just prefer F# due to its “brevity” but look forward to this soundtracking a lot more winter reading sessions

(Really kinda pissed about that oil stain on the left of cover though, no idea how I missed that!)

5 Likes

I’ve got the same turntable as you. Same Godspeed album too.

2 Likes

Get yourself some neon boobs and you’ll be sorted

2 Likes