šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Grandaddy

Itā€™s a big olā€™ 5 from me. Sophtware Slump is basically perfect and Sumday is brilliant. I like UTWF but donā€™t revisit it much whereas I listen to those other 2 all the time. After Sumday they never quite hit the heights again but those 2 records are so important to me that it canā€™t be anything other than top marks. Brilliant when I saw them at Glastonbury 03 too.

7 Likes

Big fan of Jason Lytleā€™s solo albums too, love this one.

4 Likes

Anyone new to or who has maybe just listened to an album or two should also check out:

The Broken Down Comforter Colection - early stuff collected.

Excerpts from the Diary of Todd Zilla - absolute gem of a mini album released very close to Fambly Cat.

Both wonderful records.

3 Likes

All excellent albums, with Under the Western Freeway and Sophtware Slump the highlights for me. Great live. Wish Iā€™d seen them moreā€¦ saw them support SFA in 1998 and then didnā€™t see them until they played in 2017. Weird blip for one of my all-time favourites. 5/5.

Stuck these on a lot of mixtapes and playlists:

Love his lyrics:

I donā€™t think Iā€™m gonna miss you much
For Iā€™ve got dials and knobs soft to the touch
All your lectures will become
Converted into static hum
Sunny days should leave a message on my phone

3 Likes

Yep, itā€™s a 5.

Absolutely love them. Have a real weird spookiness about them, plus Poundstretcher keyboards!

Sophtware Slump was the first album of theirs that I bought (with the winnings from a fancy-dress contest). Think I prefer UTWF these days though. Broken-Down Comforter Collection is incredible too.

5/5

1 Like

I bloody love AM 180 but donā€™t really know them beyond that. Where should I start and why? I like how AM 180 sounds sort of like Weezer if that helps - big warm fuzzy guitars and cheap keyboards.

I should probably like them more but I donā€™t really. Donā€™t like The Sophtware Slump at all.

I do LOVE this song though

1 Like

Reckon Sumday is the most immediate album, sophtware slump rewards multiple listens more but Iā€™d start with Sumday.

Canā€™t imagine someone liking AM 180 and not liking now itā€™s on

2 Likes

Probably a 3? I like them, but I can easily go huge swathes of my life without even thinking of them. They pretty much do one thing very well, that vaguely indie, melancholy sort of country pop music, but I need to be in a mood where I want that itch scratched before Iā€™d think of listening to them. Very solid but not top tier for me.

1 Like

I love them with all of my heart. 5/5. Will do a proper post later.

11 Likes

Have always ignored Grandaddy becuase my mate whoā€™s really into boring Americana and alt-country really liked them so I just assumed thatā€™s what they were up to.

Will try an album today for research purposes.

Tried again when Sophtware came up on the albums equivalent to these threads and it still didnā€™t do anything, bar The Crystal Lake which is a great song. Confused as to what score or whether to abstain now after the last thread

Itā€™s already on Spotify:

Was quite a nice surprise when I had Grandaddy songs on shuffle and a few of these versions popped up.

2 Likes

I hate Americana and Alt-country but love the 'Daddy.

Theyā€™re worth checking out.

2 Likes

Feel something similar. Really like all of what Iā€™ve heard on a track-by-track basis, but itā€™s not connected to me overall in the same way as my all-time favourites have.

This song is an all-time classic though.

1 Like

Never really liked them growing up, gave them an honest go last year on recommendations from here but found it very dull. Going to have to be a 2 Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

Also love Jasonā€™s solo stuff and this side project

gonna post this album too as its excellent

2 Likes

Probably my favourite band of the last 25 years. The Sophtware Slump reminds me of finishing school, and Sumday of finishing my undergraduate degree at Swansea and spending a couple of weeks going to beaches with friends, and seeing them at Glasto 2003.

I absolutely love Jasonā€™s first solo album too.

2 Likes