šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Green Day

I am not a fan of this band and donā€™t like any of their songs. Dookie came out when I was in my indie-clubbing years, so it should have worked for me, but I always hated the way he sang like he had a permanent cold.

1/5

2 Likes

Dookie and Nimrod are brilliant, Insomniac is great, everything else I can take or leave. They probably sort of got me playing guitar, and certainly made me realise I only needed to learn one chord shape to play most if not all pop/punk.

Given them a 3. Hitchin a Ride is 6/5.

1 Like

I love American Idiot, it was a formative album for me. Then went back and listened to/enjoyed what came before it. They were my favourite band for a few years although my love for them has not held up in the way my love for Blink 182 has. Cheers x

4 Likes

1/5

They lay at that unpleasant junction of being a band I didnā€™t like and ubiquity. Have tried going back with a more ā€˜matureā€™ ear and it hasnā€™t helped.

3 Likes

Never been a big fan but they have written some really good tracks, that only got them to a 2 though. but caught them live at T in the park years back and me and my pal had a great time at it so have put them up to a 3 for that. They seem like good lads.

1 Like

the USAs version of oasis.

Donā€™t wanna be a mancunian idiot!

4 Likes

American idiot was absolutely huge with everyone at school when i was like 11. Really liked it and then went back to their old stuff and thought it was lame in comparison. would probs reverse that opinion now but donā€™t listen to them anymore anyway

imagine an Oasis musical :laughing:

2 Likes

4 from me just for the fact that Dookie came out when i was 13, and along with Smash by the offspring pretty much changed my life. Before that all the punk i listened to was from the 70ā€™s and primarily from the UK whereas this just opened so many doors. I would never have predicted what they would become, and they have been solid shit for about 20 years now but even so, will always be a special band to me.

Bought my 13 year old niece Dookie as one of her first LPs a few years backā€¦hasnā€™t had quite the same impact unfortunately.

1 Like

Donā€™t really even like the good stuff but can sort of see that they were briefly pretty good at that pop/rock thing in the 90s.

Itā€™s a 2/5 for me. Neither the highs, nor quite the lows of Weezer, who I think I gave the same score (and I might actually listen to one of their albums, so it feels quite generous).

dookie was one of the first albums i ever bought on cassette after seeing it advertised on an ad break for The Chart Show on ITV

still got a lot of love for it as a result, they were also absolutely tremendous fun any time i saw them live

I bought it on cassette too with my pocket money. One of the first albums I ever bought.

Iā€™m listening to it now and itā€™s still great.

2 Likes

Very excited for the Weezer, GD and Fall Out Boy tour that was announced yesterday. One for those of us with great taste.

9 Likes

2/5

3/5

Better melodies than Weezer IMO.

1 Like

When I had a paper round I used to put When I Come Around on, but sing ā€œwhen Iā€™m on my rouuuund!ā€ instead. Clever, huh?

American Idiotā€™s ubiquity really put me off them, but used to quite like them and thereā€™s a couple of great singles in there.

Gonna go 2, although toying with a 1 for this

1 Like

their best albumā€™s called ā€˜shiteā€™ is it?

hated them when I was 13 and theyā€™ve got worse

1 Like

I borrowed Dookie from Barnsley Library when I was about 12. Taped it (because I was a no good rebel who just didnā€™t care about killing music) with King for a Day by Faith No More on the other side (not sure either of them were under 45 minutes - I guess young colossalhorse didnā€™t care for album closers). Played that tape until it pretty much disintegrated.

I was pretty much over them by the time Nimrod came out because I was into more mature stuff like [checks notes] uh, Korn. Still have a lot of fondness for their early run, and I respect the way they managed to stay relevant with new generations of angsty teens without having to resort to obnoxious novelty songs a la The Offspring.

Somehow never saw them live. They seemed to play all the years at Reading/Leeds that I didnā€™t go.

3/5 thanks for the memories

Everything up to Warning is incredible. Dookie is the best pop punk album of all time (donā€™t @ me) 5/5.

7 Likes