🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Hall & Oates

Giving them a 5 for all the good times.

5 Likes

Let’s do the score!

The playlist is still a thing btw and is here (currently 59+ hours worth)

2 Likes

A low turnout means 3.21 and Hall & Oates slot in between Thin Lizzy and Rihanna.

2 Likes

10 Likes

DON’T FORGET TO DONATE AND ENTER THE HGATR200 PRIZE DRAW!!!

1 Like

My wife’s parents went on and won 3-2-1 back in the day.

3 Likes

As a kid I never understood why Dusty was the booby prize. Cool as fuck.

As an adult obviously I know better.

1 Like

I missed this but they would’ve gotten a 5 from me for the weapons grade pop cheese. Their best songs are clever and fun, both guys are super talented musicians and Daryl’s voice is :ok_hand:

Private Eyes is their best album but also like Voices and X-Static. There’s a bunch of great tracks on all the 70’s and 80’s albums that don’t turn up on the best of’s.

1 Like

I mean

2 Likes

Head Above Water is absolutely glorious! Had Private Eyes on yesterday and it’s just delightfully fun, pure pop. Love them!

1 Like

Hall & Oates - better than Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd, but not quite as good as Sugababes.

Very accurate.

6 Likes

Disappointed I missed my chance to give them a 1

Damn I missed this one. Not as much chat as I’d hoped, although I figured most folks wouldn’t know much beyond the singles. On paper they seem like a group you could get away with just checking the hits and moving on, but I’d challenge that. H&O are most def a 4.5/5 in my book and I bet open-minded dissers would really enjoy their output if they gave them a shot. I don’t think their greatest hits tell the whole story.

I really love the breeziness of luncheonette and it contains a perfect opening 1-2 punch:

I pretty much love all of the singles but i think i’d have to go w out of touch as my favorite.

some other favorites deeper-ish cuts:

• mano a mano
  • talking all night
  • who said the world was fair
  • sometimes a mind changes
  • its uncanny
  • better watch your back
  • go solo
  • alone too long
  • bank on your love

gotta shout out daryl for jumping on a b-legit song too:

Live at Daryls house is a complete joy. That show is really what made me fall in love with their music and got me to go through the catalog and dive deep. You can really just feel how much Daryl loves creating and performing music and his guests are (mostly) always great. I think he’s a studio session cat at heart. His voice is still great, too. Think I’ve seen 80-90% of the episodes/performances. It was this chromeo performance specifically that hooked me, the whole episode is so fun.

If the first minute of I can’t go for that doesn’t get your head bobbing then you’re probably not a real human. truly a perfect intro with an iconic bass line.

6 Likes

Finally giving the lads a listen with ‘The Essential Collection’. I want to hate it and I sort of do but I also am not turning it off.

2 Likes

Theyll hook you at some point

1 Like

Still being sampled after all these years (although I don’t think this is very good, personally)

1 Like

thats pretty lazy.

Hall: 1. Oates: a stone-cold 5. So overall, 1.