šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Hot Chip

BROTHERS, I CAN PLAY X-BOX WITH MY BROTHERS!

6 Likes

I think they were really building to be all timers on One Life Stand and In Our Heads and lost a bit of steam on Why Make Sense? and Bath Full of Ecstasy.

That singles list is basically untouchable though isnā€™t it? ABBA Gold levels of quality. Stonking live band too.

10 Likes

The Warning is really good and Coming on Strong is quite a lot of fun. Enjoyed all the songs Iā€™ve heard after that but never really grabbed me, couldnā€™t quite see what everyone else sees in them. Might give them all a go over the weekend

Boy from School is a heartbreaker

3/5

2 Likes

I do think In Our Heads is a classic, all killer no filler album all the way through. Motion Sickness, Flutes, Always Been Your Love. Kind of album you finish then just whack right back on again.

3 Likes

This lot are my kryptonite. Something about them zeroes in on everything I hate. I donā€™t like the music, I canā€™t stand the vocals, think they try for a synthesis they canā€™t pull off, being unable to achieve the euphoria of the best dance music or the satisfaction a good song offers. They have inflicted some of the most consistently bad sleeve art since Biffy Clyro and even pictures of them make normally placid old mlh see red and want to start laying around him with his fists.

7 Likes

Love them. Great Band. My top 3 songs of theirs would be:

Shining Escalade
Melody of Love
Let me be Him

Iā€™ve loved all their albums but always felt that they never produced that perfect album until Bath Full of Ecstasy. Thatā€™s their best album imo. Definitely worthy of a 5 overall. Such a solid body of work.
I think the high voice of Alexis and Joeā€™s lower register compliment each other perfectly.

3 Likes

some incredible singles but theyā€™ve never really released a properly great album so iā€™ve gone with 3/5

releasing this so far into their career shows theyā€™re still capable of churning out hits too

3 Likes

ā€œHipstersā€¦flavour of the monthā€¦still going strongā€

ā€œBoards of Canadaā€

Oh, obviously

1 Like

Iā€™m not a fan either 2/5

1 Like

In Our Heads is the closest theyā€™ve come, but the problem is that after Flutes there isnā€™t really another big standout for me.

Thereā€™s a very deliberate shift in gear after Flutes and Now There Is Nothing and Ends of the Earth donā€™t hit the heights of the previous tunes, but Let Me Be Him and Always Been Your Love are pure bliss!

Another vote for Flutes here, amazing song.

Also a big fan of this which must not have been a single either:

3 Likes

3/5 - some great singles but middle of the road for the most.

1 Like

4/5, but verging on a 5. Most fun/good of the 00s indie disco lot apart from Late of the Pier, but were very much in that scene by coincidence and theyā€™ve continued to evolve and improve since then.

A great list of singles, an incredibly fun live band (West Holts 2015 anyone? Wowee), donā€™t take themselves seriously (lots of silly dancing/choreography).

Not often Iā€™d advocate going for a greatest hits over the albums but Hot Chip are definitely one. In Our Heads is their only excellent album imo.

1 Like

5/5 for me. Amazing live band, tied to so many happy memories for me. None of their albums would make my top 10 of all time or anything like that, but my favourite songs list would be like half them. They all seem like really nice dorks, an entire band made up of the person who you hope you get through to when you ring IT support at work.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve said it repeatedly here and to anyone who will listen, they are the best British band of the 21st century.

Huge singles with great (and often unappreciated) album cuts, one of the best live acts around.

Easy 5

5 Likes

I love the way this becomes a huge Orbital banger :smiley:
I donā€™t love Hot Chip, they have amazing songs but Iā€™d never put one of their albums on.
They are one of the best live bands out there though, even starting out, I saw them support Goldfrapp and they were stunning. They would have blown any other band off the stage but Alison is not going to let that happen.

So, long and ramblingā€¦ 4

1 Like

And Flutes is the best single.

10 Likes

A 4 for meā€¦ one of those bands that i love having in playlists, but rarely listen to the full albums.
One Night Stand definitely their best album imo.

1 Like