🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Janelle Monáe

Happy birthday!

3 Likes

Janelle gets a 5 from me, which is the correct score.

15 Likes

One of the best gigs I’ve ever seen on the Dirty Computer tour. Don’t get the “has she blown it?” concern.

A wizard is never late, etc etc

4 Likes

Absolutely adored the first EP and Archandroid - the rest I like a lot but not QUITE as much. But due to them being one of the best live acts I’ve ever seen with a Phenomenal performance at Glastonbury 2011 I will vote 5

1 Like

Best run of performances ever! Big Boi was great but boy howdy that Janelle performance was a hard one to follow.

Pulp and Big Boi were both great but boy howdy Janelle Monae blew everyone away - think its the loudest crowd (in a good way) I’ve ever been in - the round of applause after every song was deafening

2 Likes

She’s probably only a really big hit single off exploding into being properly big. Given how many great singles she’s had it’s kind of easy to forget she’s never had one that your average person on the street would know.

Would also like to place on record that I’m definitely not still annoyed that I was working in the car park at Glastonbury during her 2011 set.

They were playing Tightrope in the Co-op the other day, and we (both being massive fans) were caught off guard. She seems to have really slipped under the radar over here. As many have said she seems on the cusp of something massive, but I think her work to date warrants better status anyway. It’s all great.

The Archandroid tour was absolutely stunning, one of those “privilege to have went to one of the gigs” tours. She’s great.

1 Like

Love her. She’s a 5

This track in particular

5 Likes

Has anyone posted the video for Cold War yet?

Cos the video for Cold War.

5 Likes

To be fair, this is exactly my sort of R’n’B

2 Likes

She’s brilliant. Additional points for writing this:

4 Likes

yeah she’s pretty great, don’t think she has (as yet) enough high level consistency in her songs to warrant a 5 for me but she’s definitely a 4. Looks fucking great live, would love to see her.

1 Like

For once, genuinely do not know who this is. Will investigate.

1 Like

Would start with Archandroid.

Never seen the video for this, amazing. Definitely one of those songs that sounds almost triumphant despite being lyrically heavy

1 Like

Saw her at Glastonbury 2011 (shout-out to @Roughyed and the rest of the Pulp/Monaé/Leftfoot crew), at Brixton on the Electric Ladyland tour, and at Castlefield bowl in 2019.

All absolutely awesome shows, and just generally great fun and with a really positive energy.

3 Likes

love her

stop making films though, what’s the point, do some music

2 Likes

My main memory of MIF was that they didn’t serve doubles at the spirit bar bit irked about that. She was really good at Academy 2 in 2010 and all.

and it was like 6 quid for a single

1 Like